Qualcomm atheros ar5bwb222 windows 8 driver download

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

izzie

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Hello,
I'm having a conection problem with my windows 8. it always said "limited" why is it happening? i've tried the troubleshooter but it happen again and again. how to solve it? is it because of the windows i'm using now? or is it about the driver that i need to update?

Solution
If you want the real driver... Go here:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Wireless%20LAN/Wireless%20LAN_Atheros_10.0.0.217.v3_W8x64_A.zip?acerid=634922543832226505&Step1=NOTEBOOK, ULTRABOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE V5-471PG&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_7

That other website is NOT official, and no telling what your downloading.

Jack Ben

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
my internet has been intermittent as well, disconnecting every 5 mins or so. i have an acer v3-571g-9686 with windows 8 if that helps. also, my wireless drivers are up to date.

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

If you have the Intel Wireless card you need to download these 2 drivers:
#1 http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Wireless%20LAN/Wireless%20LAN_Intel_15.5.0.42_W8x64_A.zip?acerid=634841610163994241&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE V3-571G&OS=8P1&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6
#2 http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/WiMax/WiMax_Intel_7.5.1007.26_W8x64_A.zip?acerid=634841609059914241&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE V3-571G&OS=8P1&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

Install them in that order. If you have Atheros Wireless card then this is your download:
http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Wireless%20LAN/Wireless%20LAN_Atheros_10.0.0.225_W8x64_A.zip?acerid=634977299551855423&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE V3-571G&OS=8P1&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

Bob Ramsey

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
I've tried the 10.0.0.25 driver from @JefferyD90's link, and updated the bios, and updated the bluetooth driver, and disabled bluetooth. I've tried deleting everything and going down to the 10.0.0.17 driver, but no luck.

I think the problem is simply that these wireless cards stink, but not so bad that they would be replaced under warranty.

Anyone have any good suggestions for wireless cards?

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

There is nothing wrong with those cards. Yours in perticular might be defective, but nothing wrong with them in general. What isnt working?

Bjarke

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
In that case it's strange that so many people are ousting probems, It coudl seem like the wifi sesitivity is low. When you are close to the wifi router it's fine, but if you are just 10-20 meter from the router the speed drops dramatically. and a few more meters Awa it Looses connection and freezes.

On Acers recommendation I'm running the 234 qualcomm driver. But according to some unofficial websites the 234 is a win7 driver and win8 require the 239 driver. Whats right and whats wrong?

Laurence Ramsey

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
I have exactly the same problem here. I have an aspire v3 571G, have had it since Jan and nothing I have done so far seems to fix the WiFi. I have tried multiple drivers, upgrading/downgrading them never seemed to change the outcome, constant drops every 5 minutes. Doesn't show a lose in connection or a drop in signal, but downloads and streaming content hang and sometimes fail due to lost connection. Haven't tried the BIOS upgrade but I'm not sure if that will really help. Updated Bluetooth and then shut it off..... no help. Did the power management settings that some have had success with in other forums and this did nothing again. Contacted acer and they said if they serviced it and found it to be a software problem and not hardware they would charge me around £80 for the fix as it isn't covered in the warranty. So fed up with it. If anyone has a possible fix for this please share, I have got to the stage where I will try anything.

Sorry for the long post......

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Okay, so let me explain a little bit. When you buy a product, they ship it with the latest drivers as of the time it was manufactured. As time goes on, and as more people use the devices and complain/complement about them the drivers are updated. Almost all updates are done within the first 3 months of sale. I assume most of you didn't go on Acer's website and buy the notebook directly from them, so the chances you got that notebook during its "building" phase is slim to none. Most people buy their notebooks from Wal-Mart, or Target, or even on Amazon of which the retailers wont buy them until they see how they are going to sale. No one would buy a product right off the market without seeing how it sales originally.

Now with this said most of these were manufactured BEFORE Windows 8 even released. So a lot of your systems have Windows 7 drivers, of which they cross their fingers and hope it works. It is STILL up to you to make sure your drivers are up to date and working. This is totally normal. They will make the same physical notebook and offer 2 options a old OS and then a new OS version. This lets people, and manufactures, make the transition more smoothly.

If you need help finding the correct driver send me a message here on TomsHardware. I will no longer be tracking this forum as it has got way out of hand of the Original Poster. Please include your EXACT model of PC with your exact OS.

Bjarke

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
JefferyD90, you are making this a general issue. It's not. It's very specific. We are very much aware that drivers need updates. The Aspire S7-391 newer shipped with Win7. It only shipped with Win8 according to Acer suppport. Further our S7 was shipped to Acer support and their technicians reinstalled the PC and upgradede/ensured all drivers was updated to the latest supported version. But the problem did not go away.
I've tried the PC at 3 different wifi sites and compared to other laptops. In all cases (and with all drivers) the S7 seems to have a problematic low wifi sensitivity compared to other new and up to 5 years old laptops running Win7 and AppleOS
Would you still claim that we have problem caused by lacking driver updates and not not caused by weak hardware design ?
(It's an Acer Aspire S7-391 w qualcomm atheros wifi chipset)

ribeton

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
Good day Can you help me with my driver ACER ASPIRE 6405 M5-581T RED CARD IS ATHEROS AR5BWB222 AND MY SO IS WINDOWS 8 64BITS please what happens I have trouble connecting esque look and many drivers and none work thanks

Cristiano Zambon

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013

Here we go. I had, as many others, exactly the same problem you have (or had, don't know if you solved eventually). I have tried ALL drivers release over internet, and read tons of post of ppl suggesting different solutions, but nothing worked for me until I have found the right one on an italian forum (www.pctrio.com).

I have already wrote a post explain what is the real problem and how to solve it...you can find the complete post here:
http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Acer-wifi-limited-connectivity-issue/m-p/127681#M25959

Making a brief resume, just to be sure in case Acer decide to delete the post (I have not been so kind :p), the real problem is that the driver cannot switch between the two antennas properly, so each time the Diversity take in account, the connection get lost. Right now, at release 10.0.0.251, no driver can solve the problem. The solution is pretty tricky, and maybe a little scary for someone, but it is actually easy and fast: open your laptop, disconnect one on the antennas cable (the black one, the auxillary antenna), put some tape to ensure isolation, close and enjoy.

You will not loose anything, as the Antenna Diversity is something good when properly done, so with two different receivers. In the Qualcomm board is not like that, is one receiver with a signal switch that has a signal loss surely bigger than the double antenna advantage...so don't worry about, you can do it. I did it on mine, and many other people on theirs, right now no one complains and no disconnection at all (yesterday night, for the first time since when I bought this ugly laptop, I have been able to watch a full movie without any disconnection.

Helen Winkler

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
I also am having a problem with a qualcomm atheros ar5bwb222 in a new GAteway desktop computer (model dx4380), Windows 8--mine says it cannot find any wireless networks, even though a usb wireless adapter that I have from my old computer, works perfectly. I also have updated the driver to 10.0.0.225 and it has not helped at all. I am hesitant to start taking my computer apart to fiddle with antenna wires.

Omar Bernieri

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Well, I've tried all the possible solutions listed in this topic, I own an Aspire V5-552P-X684 Touchscreen (Windows 8 64-bit) with the Atheros AR5BWB222 Wlan card... and the wireless connection keeps failing and failing...

-I've unchecked the box "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" (doesn't work)
-Try to update the driver to it's most recent version 10.0.0.256 (July 4th 2013) from this link:
http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=74&system=7 (doesn't work)
-I try to disconnect one of the two physical antennas from inside the laptop (the black wire) (doesn't work)
-I have updated the BIOS driver (doesn't work)

At this time I don't know what else to do, I have to connect the ethernet cable to my laptop because the wireless connection doesn't work for enough time to see anything in the net... please if you have any suggestion it will be too much appreciated...

sorry for my english... and thank you for your time !!!

atulmaniya

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

Please refer to this link:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/3975-73-qualcomm-atheros-ar5bwb222-windows-driver-download

http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Qualcomm-Atheros-AR5BWB222-Wireless-Network-Adapter/td-p/117285

You might get your answer.

Omar Bernieri

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

Thanks for your help atulmaniya... let me say that the only thing i haven't tried is to upgrade windows 8 to 8.1 and install a driver for that version, i will do it this weekend and let you know if it works at last...
And for other people with the same model of ultrabook (V5-552P-X684) i have to say that any of the other solution have worked on mine's...

thanx again to all of you for your time :)

Esmedo

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Hello Oma, I the new happy owner of a aspire v3-571g and its powerfull network board Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222. :)
I would like to know if you updated to windows 8.1 and if it solved your problem?
Thx
david

Omar Bernieri

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

Hey !!
I forgot to let you know if the windows 8.1 upgrade finally works... The answer is NO...
I called Acer's customer service and they told me to bring the laptop to an authorized repair center in my city, and they also told me that that issue is a recurring problem in that WLAN card...
They change the wireless card and install a Broadcom 4321 AG instead of the Atheros, so it works perfectly right now...

:)

sunbird

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014

sunbird

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
I've spent any hours going in circles with Acer support. How much did it cost to have WLAN card replaced if outside warranty? Has anyone else successful done this, ie change to Broadcom? Cost?

Omar Bernieri

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

I guess WLAN card's price is around $15.. and you can change it manually, no need a technician...

Before you change the WLAN card:
Try to put the modem-router wifi config to channel 11 instead of auto (by default), just google search according to your router how to do it...this is to avoid any interference with microwaves or something that uses invisible waves at home... give it a try... nothing to lose... good luck buddy !!!

Terrence Daniels

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
Hey guys, not sure if anyone still reads this post but I need help bad, I have an Acer Aspire v3-551-7469 with a QUALCOMM Atheros ar5bwb222 network car when I am downstairs in my cement room my internet is perfect (router is on other side of house from my room roughly 50ft) but when I come upstairs and sit 5ft away from the router it cuts every 15-30 minutes, its starting to get really annoying cause my mom likes when I sit upstairs with her that's not an issue but when I want to go on my laptop and it doesn't connect I go back to my room and she gets upset, please help me guys.

vsubjak

Reputable
Apr 12, 2014
Hi,

Here's what worked for my Acer Aspire V5-552P-X637 (also listed as V5-552P-X440) / Windows 8.1 with the same network adapter. First I uninstalled the driver because I was going to use one of the driver downloads posted here. Instead of using a driver download, in the Device Manager I right clicked on "Network Adapters" and selected "Scan for Hardware..." from popup menu. Network adapter reappeared as device, right clicked it and selected "Update driver software" > "Browse my computer for driver software" > "Let me pick from a list of Drivers on my computer" > there are two drivers listed by default, I selected the second driver and clicked next to install. My laptop hasn't disconnected since!

Before my the driver properties were:
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 5/3/2013
Driver Version: 3.0.1.155
Digital Signer: Microsoft

Now it is updated to below and has not disconnected once:
Driver Provider: Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc.
Driver Date: 3/11/2013
Driver Version: 10.0.0.234
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

Below are additional steps I took and didn't help prior to changing the driver. I'm not sure if they are necessary but I made sure these steps were still in effect after the driver was changed:

Disable/uncheck the "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" option under the Power Management tab of device properties.
AND change the settings here: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings
Click "Change advanced power settings" > select Balance in drop-down menu > click "Wireless Adapter Settings" > "Power Saving Mode" > click "On Battery" > select "Maximum Performance" then click Apply button.
Also repeat these steps for Power Saver option in the drop-down menu.

Hope this is helpful! :D

TRENDING THREADS