Qualcomm Boasts Snapdragon Power Efficiency in New Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

edlivian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
This doesn't seem to be a fair to comparison power of qualcomm dual core to a quad core.
Let alone the fact there are 100's of other variables, like screen size, screen type, ram size, ram type, Wifi bands, bluetooth on/off, lte on or off.
If qualcomm really wanted to do a fair apples to apples comparison they would compare snapdragon galaxy s4 to exynos galaxy s4.

edlivian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
This doesn't seem to be a fair to comparison power of qualcomm dual core to a quad core.
Let alone the fact there are 100's of other variables, like screen size, screen type, ram size, ram type, Wifi bands, bluetooth on/off, lte on or off.
If qualcomm really wanted to do a fair apples to apples comparison they would compare snapdragon galaxy s4 to exynos galaxy s4.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Neat stuff. I really think that the war for battery life supremacy will be mostly a software battle until we get better battery power density. Competition is good! Keep it up guys :)

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
While I will never be involved in choosing the processor for the next smart phone, if I was I would look at other benchmarks besides power consumption.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I have an Optimus G with the S4 Pro quad, and I think it's already more powerful than what the mobile platforms need at the moment (i.e., where the software and apps are at in terms of capability). I'd gladly let the performance stagnate slightly if it means better power efficiency; I'd love a phone that can handle moderate-to-heavy usage and still retain a good 2 days worth of use on a charge. Then again, the major power draw on most phones is the screen, not the processor. But any gains in efficiency are good news.
I'm really excited to see performance:power consumption of the "new" Snapdragon x00 line relative to the Tegra4 and 4i. Early benchmarks indicate that the 4/4i is a high-performer, but I'm still curious to see how it fares in actual products under actual usage conditions.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
@cknobman &billyboy999, the extra cores in the quad core should shut down if the phone is otherwise idle but you are just using it for a phone conversation. So if the quad core stills takes a lot more power than the Snapdragon..

It is interesting to compare the screen off talk power consumption of the mystery quad core (~.18A or .66 watts) and Snapdragon (~.11A or 0.4 watts) and then looking at phone reviews of talk time and battery capacity. Looks maybe like the Samsung GS4 is close to the .11A rating and the Samsung GS3 is close to the .18A rating.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/466794/20130511/samsung-galaxys4-snapdragon600-quadcore-battery-test-performance.htm

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Its a quad vs. dual...LOL. Umm, you should be at half power.
Looks like qualcomm sucks. If they doubled the cores and made quad vs. quad it would be .38 far worse than .33 right? Lies, lies and damned lies no?

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
One more note, not all chips use the same voltage. I'm not sure I've seen a worse comparison.
We're faster, better, stronger compared to blah blah. Just believe it. :) How dare you question my comparison :)

Status
Not open for further replies.