News Qualcomm Confirms Nuvia Arm Chips Will Be in PCs by Late 2023

Spuwho

Commendable
Jul 27, 2020
Nuvia's hotair with Qualcomm's closed SOC ecosystem makes for the high chance this will be a big disappointment (or like Apple, very proprietary)

Qualcomm's Windows on Snapdragon effort was so closed and restrictive in hardware, it essentially was a dead end.

Qualcomm never released a complementary kit for Linux.

This is not a good sign for a Nuvia based ecosystem.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Qualcomm was filled with bravado at the previous Windows PC Snapdragon processor launches, but devices didn't really meet up to performance expectations. Hopefully Nuvia chips won't be a disappointment.

Qualcomm Confirms Nuvia Arm Chips Will Be in PCs by Late 2023 : Read more
Hardware wise, Qualcomm is in control. But I feel the problem is with software support. Looking at the half hearted effort by Microsoft of the years, I am skeptical this will turn out to be a meaningful product. So I am not setting my expectations high for this, even though they had the dream team to create the hardware.

Apr 30, 2022
I am curious to see if Qualcomm arm chip will run the mac os. Or if windows 11, version, whatever, will run on apple M2 Series chip(s). Cause I think Microsoft will have to modify windows to run on Qualcomm Arm chips., intel arm and AMD arm. How is Microsoft going to solve all those x86 software to run on Different pc hardware. Ever one is sooooooooo reliant on microsoft. I think apple will, still have the edge. Will Microsoft favor its OWN ARM chip(s) ? Plot thickens.

the only problem i can see is Qualcomm probably want full control of the ecosystem even if the machine is windows based. also after the fail of nokia+MS in windows smartphone Qualcomm was supposed to be their next partner for non x86 device. the last 5/6 years i did not really see meaningful product from MS and Qualcomm. now will nvidia going to chase after consumer machine with their ARM CPU?

Spuwho

Commendable
Jul 27, 2020
Hardware wise, Qualcomm is in control. But I feel the problem is with software support. Looking at the half hearted effort by Microsoft of the years, I am skeptical this will turn out to be a meaningful product. So I am not setting my expectations high for this, even though they had the dream team to create the hardware.

As long as Qualcomm keeps everything to themselves, the software will never follow. I have a Snapdragon for Windows kit, the SOC is so closed and it uses so much proprietary access methods, its worthless.

Put Nuvia on open system board designs, make the dev kits available to both the Windows and Linux ecosystems, and punt the proprietary methods and let it float on its own.

But if they just want to be another Broadcom(ThunderX)/Ampere(Altra)/IBM(Power) and sell to the datacenter vertical, that is their choice, but they will never get the needed software development they seek. It will stay highly vertical and niche and end up like all the other turn and burn ARM CPU's.