Qualcomm Expands Snapdragon S4 Line with More Quad-Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]So I guess this is what the Galaxy S4 will use, instead of the Exynos that the rest of the world will get...[/citation]
No... it says that they will begin Sampling these new chips in Q2 2013. They will not be ready to be marketed in time for the Galaxy S4, even if the S4 is released towards the end of Q2.
These chips would need to be tested by OEMs and integrated into designs and then go through more tests to iron out any kinks before they can release phones based on them.
My guess would be that the earliest these chips will show up on the market will be Q4 2013.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
[citation][nom]techcurious[/nom]No... it says that they will begin Sampling these new chips in Q2 2013. They will not be ready to be marketed in time for the Galaxy S4, even if the S4 is released towards the end of Q2.These chips would need to be tested by OEMs and integrated into designs and then go through more tests to iron out any kinks before they can release phones based on them.My guess would be that the earliest these chips will show up on the market will be Q4 2013.[/citation]

So I guess this is what the Galaxy S5 will use, instead of the Exynos that the rest of the world will get...

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Nah, it won't be use by Samsung Galaxy S & Note series any more.
I'm sure Samsung will use their Exynos 5 for these premium lines.
Compare S3 and Note 2, there are no major versions of S3, the US version and the international version. US versions are using Quadcomm S4 while international version uses Exynos 4. On the other hand, all Note 2 uses quad core exynos cpu, therefore unified their hardware.
I'm sure this will be the case going forward, especially with Samsung [trying] dropping Apple as a customer, they will need to fill up the order gap with their own phone demands.

Status
Not open for further replies.