Qualcomm Introduces Next-Generation 'Hexagon 680' DSP For Snapdragon 820

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Cool, won't hold my breath on paper releases.

That being said, I am so not excited about seeing facebook and google plus log-ins through the new login portal. I left social media behind me, and tomshardware seems to be one of the few remaining oasis that exist away from social media. Once this website sees enough "visitor" posts, i'm out. the Spam was pretty bad, and only recently has it really died down.

eldragon0

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
The last company that tried this.... was Sony with the Cell processor. It worked AMAZINGLY but it was a complete bitch to program for and ultimately died out. I really hope this will be able to run non-proprietary code as well.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
The last company that tried this.... was Sony with the Cell processor. It worked AMAZINGLY but it was a complete bitch to program for and ultimately died out. I really hope this will be able to run non-proprietary code as well.

Anyone owning a smarphone with a qualcom SoC already has 2-3 hexagon DSPs in its pocket.

The Hexagon DSP architecture was introduced in 2006. Hexagon DSPs are included in Snapdragon SoC since then. Hexagon 680 is just the 5th generation (or 6th, I'm not totally sure) of the hexagon architecture.
According to 2012 data, Qualcomm shipped 1.2 billion DSP cores inside its SoCs in 2011, and 1.5 billion cores in 2012, making Hexagon the most shipped architecture of DSP. Although I don't have any data, total Hexagon cores shipped since 2006 could easily be in the 5 to10 billion cores range, probably making it the 3rd most successfull architecture in history (after ARM & x86)

Status
Not open for further replies.