Qualcomm Prepping Snapdragon 810, 808 Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Lord

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
It seems the pace of computing performance innovation is slowing dramatically. Desktop CPUs are totally stagnant. Desktop CPUs (Maxwell/750ti) and laptop CPUs are improving much more in power consumption then speed. Laptop/Tablet/Phone GPUs are still getting faster, but instead of 2x gen-2-gen its +30%. In a few years, barring some breakthrough in parallelism, we are going to hit the max. Hopefully by that time the cloud will be able to put giant servers at our fingertips to makeup for it.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Too little, too late, Qualcomm. A57 cores aren't even as fast as Apple's current A7 cores and you're telling us to wait until next year?

You used to custom design your own ARM processors. Why are you picking off-the-shelf A57's instead of making your own improved versions?

anthony8989

Distinguished
Too little, too late, Qualcomm. A57 cores aren't even as fast as Apple's current A7 cores and you're telling us to wait until next year?

You used to custom design your own ARM processors. Why are you picking off-the-shelf A57's instead of making your own improved versions?

Apple took the market by surprize with it's A7. Samsung is still playing catch up. It costs tens of millions of dollars in licensing instruction sets alone. They can't just abandon millions of dollars invested in reaction to Apple's stratagem. Samsung is making the right moves for the time being. The increases in performance from gen-to-gen on their SoC is considerable. And I really doubt Apple will be able to blindside them twice in the same decade. But who knows.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
what a pointless waste quad core in a phone. I'd rather have 2 bigger more complex cores with much faster single thread performance. Single thread performance is what really matters and is what you will actually notice as a speed boost.

anthony8989

Distinguished
That is an ultra narrow scope to judge SoC's by. Too little in fact to deem one SoC totally better than the other by. Whatever your opinion on Apple , the fact of the matter is Samsung is in first place on market share. So Apple doesn't have the number one formula at the moment. Whatever Samsung is doing , it's working well enough to keep them king of the hill for now. A geekbench result chart at 1ghz base doesn't really change any of that. Its like looking at 1/100th of the picture .

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Apple is so far behind in the tech, where is multi tasking, multi windows and multi users? Oh and way overpriced. Their only claim to fame is the huge selection of peripherals and accessories that span a wide spectrum of application, which in fact is their best differentiator.

These ARM chips which are rapidly getting better and more feature packed, are not only for phones they are for tablets and notebooks These Qualcomm SoCs have 8 and 6 cores which can be switched on and off individually giving great power management while being able to respond to loads.

http://indianexpress.com/article/technology/gadgets/five-reasons-why-the-lenovo-ideapad-a10-is-better-than-the-chromebook/

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Wow, Tom's continues to impress with the stupidity of the commenters.

I can remember for years discussing the differences between AMD and Intel, ATI and Nvidia and going over the technical differences. Now when Apple CLEARLY is far more advanced in ARM processor design suddenly everyone's IQ dropped to 50 and they throw logic out the window.

Truly pathetic that anyone could dislike a company so much that they're completely blind to FACTS.

I'd suggest people go read Anandtechs latest article on the A7, but I doubt anyone will for fear of their heads exploding in nerd rage at finding out just how far behind Samsung, Qualcomm and ARM really are.

anthony8989

Distinguished
Wow, Tom's continues to impress with the stupidity of the commenters.

I can remember for years discussing the differences between AMD and Intel, ATI and Nvidia and going over the technical differences. Now when Apple CLEARLY is far more advanced in ARM processor design suddenly everyone's IQ dropped to 50 and they throw logic out the window.

Truly pathetic that anyone could dislike a company so much that they're completely blind to FACTS.

I'd suggest people go read Anandtechs latest article on the A7, but I doubt anyone will for fear of their heads exploding in nerd rage at finding out just how far behind Samsung, Qualcomm and ARM really are.

Using words like "stupidity" and "pathetic" to get your point across is indicative of a nerd rage buddy. You're the one who dislikes Samsung and Qualcomm to a degree that you're blind to the facts. I just stated that Apple's A7 caught the market by surprize. They introduced next gen technology last gen. Kudos to them. So now every Qualcomm/Snapdragon processor that comes out from then 'til now is garbage because in your mind the A7 is as good as it gets? Take that abrasive crap over to Anandtech instead of insulting people for trying to explain things to you.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Using words like "stupidity" and "pathetic" to get your point across is indicative of a nerd rage buddy. You're the one who dislikes Samsung and Qualcomm to a degree that you're blind to the facts. I just stated that Apple's A7 caught the market by surprize. They introduced next gen technology last gen. Kudos to them. So now every Qualcomm/Snapdragon processor that comes out from then 'til now is garbage because in your mind the A7 is as good as it gets? Take that abrasive crap over to Anandtech instead of insulting people for trying to explain things to you.
So you want to claim you're "explaining" things yet you're ignoring what I've said? You claimed Samsung made "considerable" gen-to-gen increases in their SoC's, yet I provided hard data that shows this isn't true. So you're going to ignore that and make general statements like "ultra narrow scope" without providing ANY actual facts to back up your statement?

Then you on on to state Samsung has higher market share. WTH does market share have to do with the quality of their SoCs? McDonalds sells the most burgers so by your logic that means they make the best burgers.

And nowhere did I ever say I dislike Qualcomm or Samsung. I'm simply make a statement based on facts that they are way behind Apple in ARM processor development. Which is 100% factual and correct.

Nobody else has an ARM processor that's 6 wide (even Samsung and Qualcomm are only 3 wide under ideal circumstances). Nobody else has a 192 deep reorder buffer either. Apple's A7 isn't just a little better here and there - it's substantially better. And it's already 6 months old.

I also mentioned that Qualcomm used to design their own processors (which is also correct), yet this time around they're going back to using ARM designs. So what's your opinion on this? Do you actually think it's a good idea to use the A57 (which is already slower than Apple's A7 according to ARMs own documentation)? Or should Qualcomm be making another custom processor like they have in the past?

anthony8989

Distinguished
You claimed Samsung made "considerable" gen-to-gen increases in their SoC's, yet I provided hard data that shows this isn't true.

This is your "hard data"
socsingle.gif
A chart showing relative Geekbench results at a 1ghz base line. Lmao that's some hard data right there. How's this "hard data":
GS5GeekbenchPerformancePreview.jpg

tegrak1-toms-lead.png

You claimed Samsung made "considerable" gen-to-gen increases in their SoC's, yet I provided hard data that shows this isn't true.

adreno-performance-chart.jpg

snapdragon-800-geekbench-640x477.jpg

Then you on on to state Samsung has higher market share. WTH does market share have to do with the quality of their SoCs?
People flock to buy inferior products ? I think not.

McDonalds sells the most burgers so by your logic that means they make the best burgers.
McDonalds uses the finest quality beef and ingredients for their burgers and foods - look it up.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
anthony8989: Why don't you look up the data from the chart I provided and crunch the numbers yourself? Apple's A7 is, by far, the fastest performing ARM core. The ONLY reason a Snapdragon or Exynos can show similar (or very slightly better) performance is because A) they use twice the cores and B) they run a full 1.0GHz faster. You actually think that's impressive?

And I see you complete avoided my mentioning of how wide the A7 is or its reorder buffer. Why is that? I thought you wanted a technical discussion?

anthony8989

Distinguished
Uhm you can get as technical as you'd like it doesn't change the fact the phones perform the same tasks with identical speeds. Samsung is in the business of making popular smartphones not impressing nerds that rage when they don't pump out the latest and greatest tech every cycle. I think you're mad.

anthony8989

Distinguished
Why don't you look up the data from the chart I provided and crunch the numbers yourself? Apple's A7 is, by far, the fastest performing ARM core. The ONLY reason a Snapdragon or Exynos can show similar (or very slightly better) performance is because A) they use twice the cores and B) they run a full 1.0GHz faster. You actually think that's impressive?

And I see you complete avoided my mentioning of how wide the A7 is or its reorder buffer. Why is that? I thought you wanted a technical discussion?

Why don't I look at the data from the chart you sent - there is so little data on that chart there is barely any data at all.
Crunch the numbers ? You mean stare at that chart and squint real hard until I see something new?
I never said the A7 wasn't a fast processor.

The only reason Snapdragon or Exynos show the same or slightly better.... Lol did you just agree against your own argument? I think you did.

Using more cores and higher clock speeds is a bad thing now, but only when you're comparing Apples to Samsung's , right?

Once again, not arguing that the A7 isn't the best processor or was when it was released. I said Samsung made considerable improvements Gen-to-gen with their SoCs and proved it. You're just being ignorant. Stop trying to turn this into a Samsung vs Apple fanboy fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.