Qualcomm Reveals Own 64-bit LTE Chip for Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
64-Bit IS a gimmick; at least for the next few years until we start seeing phones/tablets with more than 4GB RAM.

That being said, it is still nice to get ahead of the game and give developers 64-bit hardware to develop on while looking to the future.

weierstrass

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Just like no keyboard phones, high resolution displays and ultra thin laptops it would have took years to get there is apple where not there to force competitors to take action.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Are you joking? Years to get there? They were developing this chip for some time now for low power server environments. They just released it now to show they can. I am not sure why they developed it for cheap phones since cheap phones don't have more than 4GB of ram.

No phone has more than 2GB of RAM right now and it is rumored the next Samsung Galaxy may have 3GB.

That is incorrect. Samsung was developing the Omnia before the iPhone was released and it had no keyboard. I originally wanted one as it was a pretty high end phone for the time.

Appl has never done high resolution displays nor was it them that forced it, as its been the technology that needed to catch up. They don't even have 1080p yet and I have heard some companies are looking to push 2560x1600 on phones.

Apple is not as innovative as they seem. A lot of their ideas come from other places. They are just big enough for people to see it. Its like people think Thunderbolt was their idea, nope it was Intels. Apple just adopted it first.

The Note 3 is a Phablet, not a phone. No phone, meaning one that's not massive in size, has more than 2GB.

BTW, I happen to have a Galaxy S4 and have never nor will I ever own a iPhone as I think they are over priced and too small while the S4 feels just right in my over sized hands.

And if you are going to act like this, I might just give you a temp ban because we don't need this kind of behavior.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
firefox OS is only on a few devices for now but a while back you sould get a full firefox device on ebay for $89 made for a good backup phone or smartphone burner if you need that. some positive and some negative reviews likely based on who buys ad revenue on a site.

i would agree with the commentor abotu the note3 being a phone i know it is sold and displayed with phones and such and people often have it and a tablet it is not a replacment for one not a big enough screen (heck i want a 6+" nexus phone and would still call it a phone ) though i would have said it less... acusitorily

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
I totally em not impressed with Qualcomms lo end socs & this one is a typical representative of that bat at least they learned something so they are packing new radio
& a rebranded old GPU. Broadcom, Media Tek, Rockchip & Allwiner will eat them alive in most markets! They are worst scum from developers perspective & they will be getting that what they deserved!

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
People who say 64bit only matters with 4GB of RAM have no business commenting on a tech forum.

I guess all those 64bit workstations from the 90's that had 64-512MB RAM were all gimmicks too, and never gave any advantages whatsoever.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Oh well, it's pretty meaningless anyway.

Next year we will see Broadwell chips creeping into the phone market and that trend will accelerate with Skylake and beyond a Intel continues to shrink the die and upgrade the chip/GPU. The future of phones is x86.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Apple has doubled performance in their mobile processors two years straight with their custom A6/A7. How many new Intel chips in the last few years offered double the performance of the previous processor?

Intel better step things up to compete with the A8 next year, which will outperform what Intel has if they keep to their current level of progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.