Qualcomm To Pay Record $1 Billion Fine To Chinese Government In Antitrust Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grognak

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
Good job digging your own grave, EU. Go on, keep supporting China, it's not like there's anything they haven't copied or bought.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Now they're enforcing anti trust laws while they blatantly copy the hell out of everything, from phones to aircraft and cities...Seriously, it's not worth outsourcing your company to China.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Now they're enforcing anti trust laws while they blatantly copy the hell out of everything, from phones to aircraft and cities...Seriously, it's not worth outsourcing your company to China.

So many companies are damning themselves (or have already damned themselves) with their short-sighted behavior. They were too eager to not only outsource to China, but to succeed in the Chinese market. They already have the means to build everything, they only tolerate these foreign entities so long as they continue to develop technology they can license (at forced rates) or steal. As their domestic copycat designs gain steam in the market both local and abroad, foreign firms start to lose leverage and they really grab you by the nuts.

To be fair in many cases we've pushed companies to move production or even move out of the country entirely. High taxes, high cost of labor, and prohibitive regulations. Why would you WANT to stick around? So there's plenty of blame to go around. Personally I try to buy products made in friendlier nations whenever possible but you can't always avoid it.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Wow. Coming under fire in an anti-trust lawsuit in China and losing the trial would mean Qualcomm must have been doing some insane levels of anti-competitive practices. The only analogy I can think of with a comparable level of comic irony and hypocrisy for this situation would be a pedophile being convicted in a trial by a jury of Nambla members.

f-14

Distinguished
greed is a killer. it's bad business to do business with china building your stuff, they only want your tech and when you don't comply with their terms they shut you out. worse yet, you're helping bring a brutal military dictatorship regime up to 21st century snuff who are bent on your doom.
and just now are leaders are starting to catch a whiff of what critics have pointed out long before this even started:

http://nypost.com/2015/02/08/chinas-secret-plan-to-topple-the-us-as-the-worlds-superpower/

this 'advisor' thinks china wants to be a super power.....no, china wants the whole damn world.

china declared it wanted it's own CPU architecture so as to avoid the american NSA and CIA spy operations via american government mandated back doors for this very purpose.

http://www.epi.org/publication/briefingpapers_pntr_china/

It doesn't say exactly what qualcomm did?? As far as we know, qualcomm engineers the best SOC for mobile devices, with very good processors, good power efficiency and built in wireless radios for cellular and wifi. It's the total package on one chip. If they simply had high licensing fees, i can understand that. All their hard work in R&D to developing a kick ass chip should pay off. It's not their fault everyone else is behind.

If they were doing other things to block competitors from the market, then i can understand the antitrust lawsuit. But it doesn't say either way.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
People seem to be very anti-china in these comments. I've known some Chinese people that I've met online before. They're just regular people who can be cool to hang out with.

Even more so, let's not forget how important China was in WWII. They're the unsung heroes of that war.

erickmendes

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2012
@f-14 ... China don't want the whole world... It have it already. The best position is not to conquer the entire world and having to keep it, China's got the best position: it's selling goods to the entire planet. No other country have this kind of dominion over the planet. I believe China would only go for war if someone else threat its capacity to sell it's goods abroad, and I think even USA don't want to stop buying from China.
It's not a cold-war world anymore... Countries can live without each other, but not without hurting themselves pretty much in many areas, like industrial production, food importation, iada, iada, iada...

Yes, but then roughly 30 years later provided weapons and supplies to the north vietnamese, destabilized south east asia. Who fought and killed 30k american troops. Which then led to millions of cambodians killed in a mass genocide after the communist powers, formed in the wake of the vietnam conflict, decided to take over the region.

G

@gggplaya, why were american troops in Vietnam again?

Americans are just butt-hurt that some country doesn't have to act like it's lapdog anymore. Just like when America put pressure for China to revalue it's renminbi, China just said no. Japan said yes years ago, and their economy never recovered. Since China doesn't agree, America claims China cheats! Like the US dollar isn't super overvalued!

cmi86

Distinguished
China is suing for antitrust....seriously ? The country that has never engineered anything of it's own and just rips off a product from another company then damn near clones it to sell it as their own. Then when they get caught China takes a page out of Russia's book and just refuses to acknowledge the situation and act like the worlds laws don't apply to them.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I quote. Search to find it yourself.
Qualcomm violates those rules by trying to exclude competing manufacturers of chipsets for mobile phones from the market and to prevent others from entering. These actions, in addition to breaching the European Union's competition law, are in breach of Qualcomm's commitments to standard-setting bodies.

canoeguy1

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
People seem to be very anti-china in these comments. I've known some Chinese people that I've met online before. They're just regular people who can be cool to hang out with.

Even more so, let's not forget how important China was in WWII. They're the unsung heroes of that war.

Let's not forget that China caused enormous American casualties in the Korean war, that they invaded and still occupy Tibet, that they threaten Taiwan, that they claim the whole China Sea to themselves etc. There is nothing peaceful about a growing superpower. The Chinese people themselves may be individually friendly, but that has no bearing on how the state behaves.

canoeguy1

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Sounds like the right people were not bribed. Or, more likely, that Chinese competitors had better connections and knew which people to bribe, while Qualcomm did not. The lesson for companies is to invest more in local knowledge and political lobbying/greasing before attempting to do business in a foreign country.

canoeguy1

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Sounds like the right people were not bribed. Or, more likely, that Chinese competitors had better connections and knew which people to bribe, while Qualcomm did not. The lesson for companies is to invest more in local knowledge and political lobbying/greasing before attempting to do business in a foreign country.

Status
Not open for further replies.