News Qualcomm's Arm chip beats Intel in pre-launch Windows performance demo — Snapdragon X Elite X1E80100 takes down Core 7 Ultra 155H

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
The Intel laptop used a Core Ultra 7 155H, presumably (though not certainly) with the same RAM and power limit.
Has nobody sanity-checked the benchmark scores of the Intel laptop, or did they use nonstandard workloads to make that impossible? The 3D Mark and UL benchmarks should be common, at least.

Reactions: slightnitpick

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
Has nobody sanity-checked the benchmark scores of the Intel laptop, or did they use nonstandard workloads to make that impossible? The 3D Mark and UL benchmarks should be common, at least.
Only one that popped up for 155h was faster, (42 fps vs ARM 39 fps) but in the same ballpark : https://www.3dmark.com/wl/377373
Not a common benchmark for x86 devices. It is meant to be a mobile cross platform benchmark so probably more representative of mobile game performance.

shawman123

Reputable
Aug 13, 2020
I have no doubt that X Elite will be great. But what is this with all controlled benchmarking. Just release the damn thing and let the reviewers benchmark the laptops. That said its expected that these laptops will be in MBP price range. Then its irrelevant.

Reactions: Memnarchon

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
what is this with all controlled benchmarking.
Two things, I think. First, they get only one chance to make a good impression. If the software isn't ready at launch, it won't matter much if some reviewers redo their reviews a couple months later and find a better situation, because the a lot fewer people will see those and most people will just stick to what the first round of reviews concluded.

Second, because Windows/ARM is still pretty new (esp. the x86-64 emulator, which is new to Win 11), I expect they're doing a lot of performance tuning.

Just release the damn thing and let the reviewers benchmark the laptops.
Because then you end up with reviews like this, where most of the benchmarks are testing x86 apps:

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I have no doubt that X Elite will be great. But what is this with all controlled benchmarking. Just release the damn thing and let the reviewers benchmark the laptops. That said its expected that these laptops will be in MBP price range. Then its irrelevant.
Great or not, we won't know until the chip is reviewed by independent reviewers. I would however try not to inflate the expectations just because Apple M1 was an incredible success. The reason is because unlike Apple , Qualcomm have little to no control over software optimization in the Windows ecosystem. So while the chip may be powerful, a significant portion of the performance may be wasted due to inefficiencies with software. Hence in this case, they are clearly limiting what can be tested with the new chip.

Pierce2623

Prominent
Dec 3, 2023
So is it still impossible to run Windows games in Windows on ARM? 2024 was supposed to be the year they made big advancements on that.

The irony of a publication telling readers to take the results with a grain of salt because of the controlled environment when said publication conducts their reviews in a very controlled environment on a PC locked to a soon to be unsupported Windows 10 release (from 2022).

Status
Not open for further replies.