News Qualcomm's First 5nm PC Chip, 8cx Gen 3, Is Coming Next Year

Apr 1, 2020
If they can match the Apple M1 Macbook Air's battery life of 16 hours of video playback, graphic below from TechCrunch as TH didn't do a video playback test, just a web browsing test, and if these laptops are priced sub $350 (preferably sub $300) and run unrestricted Windows 11, they'd really put a hurting on Chromebooks. Aside from being able to run the proper Office 365 suite, there's people like me who would love a laptop to use for messengers and such while I'm playing a full screen game as well as a portable, inexpensive laptop to use while I'm traveling. I already have my eye on the Samsung Galaxy Book Go which uses a 2.5 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 7c Gen 2, but this new chip would blow it out of the water...

4k60-Full-Screen-Video-Playback.png

Why couldn't we have had these things back when I was in college in the noughties...Having to have 3 batteries to switch between to last all day was expensive, and a pain...

Apr 1, 2020
Technically "PC" stands for personal computer and Apple's M1 is also 5nm and out before this Qualcomm chip. So i'm not sure how Qualcomm can make that claim.

Is a Mac a PC? (computerhope.com)

"However, when IBM introduced their first computer in August 1981, model number 5150, the term PC became something more specific. From that point on, the PC became a reference to IBM-compatible computers. Today, when PC is used to talk about a computer, it usually is referring to an IBM-compatible computer. By this definition, a Mac computer is not a PC, as it is not IBM-compatible. "

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Is a Mac a PC? (computerhope.com)

"However, when IBM introduced their first computer in August 1981, model number 5150, the term PC became something more specific. From that point on, the PC became a reference to IBM-compatible computers. Today, when PC is used to talk about a computer, it usually is referring to an IBM-compatible computer. By this definition, a Mac computer is not a PC, as it is not IBM-compatible. "

I disagree. Prescriptively, the term 'personal computer' predates the IBM PC. Descriptively, very few people talking about PCs these days know or care about the IBM PC.
If a PC strictly has to be IBM-compatible, then modern computers aren't even PCs. Software that ran on the IBM PC absolutely will not run on a modern computer without some sort of emulation.