Quality Audio-Visual Switcher

jchang320

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Hi,

This question may have already been answered, and if so, I apologize.

I'm trying to set up an audiovisual system for my church such that we have 3-4 computer inputs and up to potentially 8+ outputs. The inputs include one permanent desktop computer and up to two laptops that speakers could potentially bring from home. We have a projector and a decent sound system through the sanctuary, and we're looking to upgrade our switcher. We are currently using a pretty old VGA switcher with a number of HDMI/Cat5 converters.

I'm wondering what's a good quality HDMI splitter/switcher that I should look into? A couple other requirements:
1. Ideally, we'd like to be able to pull the sound out from the splitter/switch so that we can plug it into our speaker system
2. We want seamless switching between inputs (e.g. less than a couple seconds to go from one to the other input).

We recently bought a new projector that has an HDBaseT receiver built in. If the splitter/switch has the HDBaseT transmitter built in, that would be great. All the other outputs can handle HDMI outputs. As far as I understand, all the outputs should also be viewing the same thing, so I do wonder if we can also use a simple 4x1 switch instead of a 4x8 switch.

Any advice / guidance / thoughts would be very helpful. Thank you very much. I tried searching the forums, but I may have missed the post that answers my question. If you could direct me to that post, I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Solution
If they are all the same, then you could get by with a 4 input 1 output switcher. Send that into a fan out hub. Two devices but fairly inexpensive devices. A multi-input, multi-output unit is known as a matrix switcher. They can get fairly expensive $1K and up.

jchang320

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Currently, all the devices are the same. I'm curious what the price differential would be if I kept it this way, and if I wanted to have customized input/output relationships similar to what you described.

kanewolf

Titan
If they are all the same, then you could get by with a 4 input 1 output switcher. Send that into a fan out hub. Two devices but fairly inexpensive devices. A multi-input, multi-output unit is known as a matrix switcher. They can get fairly expensive $1K and up.

Solution

jchang320

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

Any good suggestions on brands / models? Especially for ones that can handle separate audio outputs and seamless switching? Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan

Not really. I haven't had to purchase anything like this.