Quality dvd recorders.

ezeron

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Dear experts,

With Christmas coming up i've thought of the perfect gift for my dad, A new dvd recorder. Tbh I don't even know of these exist anymore after looking around town for what im looking for. What he had before it broke was a silver panasonic dvd recorder with a few features he really liked. He could use rewritable discs that he could record to,watch the program and do this over and over. One other feature he liked was he could watch other channels on tv when he was recording another channel. So my question to you guys is if anything like this is still being made and where I could order from.

Thanks so much.

Solution

to watch and record, it must have twin tuners. Any writer supports discs that are RW meaning rewriteable, you just need to buy the rewriteable discs. eg.:
http://www.betta.com.au/panasonic-dmr-xw440glk-dvd-recorder-recording-hdd-414864?gclid=CK3Z3LCT6skCFVQJvAodfZYIpQ
IMO better to get one with a HDD and you can do away with the discs. But if you record to the internal hdd you cant then burn it to disc, it violates copy-write laws, it can only be played back on that device. To try stop people editing the content with no adds which pay for that show and/or uploading that to...

ezeron

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Like for example would this do what I'm looking for? These features and specs are foreign to me.http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sku=659768&Q=&O=&gclid=CjwKEAiAndSzBRDp5P232v-qtHkSJABw-Vdt7T3JCStfFGgj9gsAAazrr3c_raMu0Ug12xowarYInxoCtCvw_wcB&is=REG&A=details

to watch and record, it must have twin tuners. Any writer supports discs that are RW meaning rewriteable, you just need to buy the rewriteable discs. eg.:
http://www.betta.com.au/panasonic-dmr-xw440glk-dvd-recorder-recording-hdd-414864?gclid=CK3Z3LCT6skCFVQJvAodfZYIpQ
IMO better to get one with a HDD and you can do away with the discs. But if you record to the internal hdd you cant then burn it to disc, it violates copy-write laws, it can only be played back on that device. To try stop people editing the content with no adds which pay for that show and/or uploading that to torrent sites. I have been using a ps3 with Playtv software for years as a twin tuner/recorder and works awesome. Also doubles as a blueray player and console, but it can not write to disc.

Solution

That one says imported model, so beware it may not play your local content, at least not out of the box. It also mentions nothing about twin tuners, which is what you want to be able to play/record separate channels at the same time.

I'm from Australia, so not sure about Canada or US. I assume Australia still has some DVD recorders because were technologically 5-10 years behind the US, at least in terms of Internet speeds and TV streaming services (only just got Netflix in Aus this year). How old is your dad? Is he dead set on recording to DVD? could it just be a HDD based recording system? you might find that easier to find.

ezeron

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

Thanks for the reply. My dad just turned sixty. I suppose he wouldnt mind if its dvd or not. As long as he could store programs and watch while recording. What would I be looking for on that case? "A twin tuner hdd recorder"?

yes. Or a ps3/4/xbox one with the twin tuner addon.

ezeron

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

Thanks for all the help. We just decided to get him a new tv(long overdue), he still had a crt from 15 years ago :p. He was talking about getting a pvr from the cable provider anyways, so we'll let him do that so he gets exactly what he wants :p . Cheers again for all the help mate

My TV has the ability to record and playback, you just need to plug in an external hdd or usb stick, so you could look for a smart tv with this capability.

TRENDING THREADS