Quality Mechanical Keyboard?

jbw716

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
Hi all. I recently got burned on a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 malfunctioning on me. I'm now in search for a new mechanical keyboard for around $120 (of course less is nice). I think I'm pretty set on Cherry MX Brown switches as I will be using the keyboard for both gaming and school (lots of typing). I've been looking at both the Corsair K70 and the Logitech G710+. I just want a keyboard that'll actually last longer than 2 and a half years. Suggestions? Thanks to everyone!

Solution
I have the regular Logitech G710 (the Cherry MX Blue version) and can definitely vouch for its quality. It's construction isn't full metal, but rather a very dense and solid plastic, giving it enough weight that most people would assume it's made of aluminum or something. I remember when unboxing it that this keyboard felt VERY heavy.

The cables aren't braided, but are made of a thick, quality rubber, that I honestly think are even better.

The backlighting is GREAT, as I never really cared for that RGB marketing crap that everyone else seems to be following, and the fit and finish of the board is just very luxurious in general. You won't be disappointed.
I have the G710+ (along with a G402 mouse) and I'm very satisfied. It's much quieter than Cherry MX Blues. There is a bit of sound when the keys are bottomed out though.

That's too bad about the Razer, my son has that keyboard and has had it for a year and a half and it's worked well for him. I like it too, but I liked the G710+ so I went with it. I'd say that your experience with the Razer is more the exception rather than rule.

I definitely recommend the G710+.

bran_donger

Honorable
Jun 16, 2015
I have the regular Logitech G710 (the Cherry MX Blue version) and can definitely vouch for its quality. It's construction isn't full metal, but rather a very dense and solid plastic, giving it enough weight that most people would assume it's made of aluminum or something. I remember when unboxing it that this keyboard felt VERY heavy.

The cables aren't braided, but are made of a thick, quality rubber, that I honestly think are even better.

The backlighting is GREAT, as I never really cared for that RGB marketing crap that everyone else seems to be following, and the fit and finish of the board is just very luxurious in general. You won't be disappointed.

Solution

jbw716

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
Man I hear you on that RGB mess. As far as Cherry MX Blues and Browns... Is my logic valid in thinking that the brown switches are probably a happy medium between the red switches and the blue switches?

I'd say yes. The click feedback is very subtle on the Browns. Logitech uses a dampening ring (o-ring) on the keys to quiet them, so they are even quieter than the Browns actually are. That's not to say you can't hear when your typing. You can get a nice little tappity tap going when you are typing. A very satisfying response in my opinion, without being obnoxiously loud.

TRENDING THREADS