Quality Of Service

androidguy

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
How would I enable high priority for YouTube, Netflix, and the speed test website on a Netgear WNR1000V3? I can choose from some games, mac addresses, ethernet port, or application for the Qos list. The applications menu has MSN Messenger, Skype, Yahoo Messenger, IP Phone, Vonage IP Phone, Netmeeting, AIM, Google Talk, Netgear EVA, SSH, Telnet, VPN, FTP, SMTP, WWW, DNS, ICMP, eMule/eDonkey, Kazaa, Gnutella, and BT/Azureus but no Netflix, Youtube, or speedtest. How would I enable these websites with a higher priority then others? Thanks in advance for all of the help and suggestions.

androidguy

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

It doesn't say anything other then WWW and allows me to enable it. There is nothing about YouTube. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help!

I don't see any QOS settings in the manual. You may need a higher end router, perhaps a Linksys.

androidguy

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

I have been thinking about getting a better router, possibly the WRT1900AC but then I heard that it had fans which sometimes become loud. Is there any other Linksys you recommend?

You don't need a real high end router to get QoS. The cheapest way is to get a router you can load third party firmware like dd-wrt or tomato on. These have fairly advanced QoS and run on very inexpensive routers.

Even mid priced ASUS routers run the same firmware as the high end ones so contain exactly the same QoS code. TPlink also has routers with good QoS and are fairly inexpensive...their top 802.11ac router is only $100.

The key feature you are looking for is the ability to place hard limits on INBOUND traffic. You must be able to set a rate in bits/sec ...high,medium,low is just crap. The vast majority of routers (like your current one) can only do QoS outbound. The problem is almost always inbound and the ISP is in control of what is dropped and you can do nothing to recreate dropped data.

The bad news is even with the most advanced routers there really is only so much you can do. You have to trick application into not using bandwidth and if they do not play nice...like torrent...it will not work real well.

The configuration you need is reverse of what you are asking for. Say you have a 10m download. What you need to do is limit all traffic EXCEPT your "good" traffic to some fixed rate which then leaves bandwidth for the "good" traffic to use when it needs it. So you could say all traffic not coming from the IP at netflix or youtube can only use 4m. This leaves 6m for youtube and netflix. The downside of this configuration is that even if you are not using netflix or youtube the other apps can not use the bandwidth.

The only real way to do this would be for the ISP to guarantee bandwidths to these application before it is send on the connection to you. They could allow other application to use it if these apps were not active. Unless you get a commercial connection ISP will not even think to discuss stuff like this.