[SOLVED] Quality / Performance of RTX 3000 series FE's

Notime4games

Prominent
Aug 15, 2020
For all of you that already own a RTX 3000 series Founders Edition, how happy with them are you (performance, thermals, noise)? I really like the looks of the FE cards design wise, but realise they have slightly lower power limits and slightly worse cooling than a lot of the AIB cards. I've read varying views about whether the FE cards are better binned vs. AIB cards, not sure the truth and whether that would make a difference anyway. Also, not sure I like that the FE blows hot air directly up onto the memory sticks.

I am asking because I have an ASUS DUAL 3070 OC, and have the option to swap it for an FE 3070. I'd be swapping the ASUS direct for the FE.

I realise not a very important decision, and that the same general question (FE vs AIB) has already been debated - so sorry for that!

Solution
It's not like the lower power limit is really hurting it, 'cause it's not.
Higher power limits means more heat too...

You gotta look at the bigger picture, not just this card and that card.
Those AIB cards may run cooler, and have higher power limits, but they do so while dumping larger volumes of heat in your chassis, which leads to just about every thing above it running warmer Vs FE.

Also, not sure I like that the FE blows hot air directly up onto the memory sticks.
It's not like the situation was any better with AIB cards...
Some air is still better than no air.

NZXT H510... a chassis with both strained intake and exhaust.
Yeah, FEs would have an advantage in this box.
Hmm...
I've seen many 30 series FE card's sitting in H510.
A really good combo.
Have you thought about mounting your GPU vertically so you can expose the RGB on the Asus one?
I think it would look better that way : )
How long will the option to trade GPU's last?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Those AIB cards may run cooler, and have higher power limits, but they do so while dumping larger volumes of heat in your chassis, which leads to just about every thing above it running warmer Vs FE.

Also, not sure I like that the FE blows hot air directly up onto the memory sticks.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Solution

Notime4games

Prominent
Aug 15, 2020

Thanks - why do you say FE's have an advantage? Less power / less heat generated (given case has poor airflow)

Notime4games

Prominent
Aug 15, 2020
Hmm...
I've seen many 30 series FE card's sitting in H510.
A really good combo.
Have you thought about mounting your GPU vertically so you can expose the RGB on the Asus one?
I think it would look better that way : )
How long will the option to trade GPU's last?

Havent thought about vertical mounting... maybe I should! Need to decide fairly soon on the card

Reactions: Dj0gany

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks - why do you say FE's have an advantage? Less power / less heat generated (given case has poor airflow)
They have an edge in whole PC cooling.
Less power/less heat produced - that's one point. The other point is the cooler's design. It's not dumping all it's waste heat inside the chassis like the AIB cards do - some of it goes right out the back.
iu

That's how the FE cards behave. The rear PCIe slot exhaust does not happen with AIB models.

But hey, to try and keep things simple: If you're not having any thermal problems right now, don't worry about it - I could be making this harder for you than it needs to be.

Notime4games

Prominent
Aug 15, 2020
They have an edge in whole PC cooling.
Less power/less heat produced - that's one point. The other point is the cooler's design. It's not dumping all it's waste heat inside the chassis like the AIB cards do - some of it goes right out the back.
iu

That's how the FE cards behave. The rear PCIe slot exhaust does not happen with AIB models.

But hey, to try and keep things simple: If you're not having any thermal problems right now, don't worry about it - I could be making this harder for you than it needs to be.

Do you know how long Nvidia makes Founders Edition cards for (e.g. 6-8 months after initial release?).

Notime4games

Prominent
Aug 15, 2020
Do you mean how long has NVIDIA been making Founder's Edition cards, or how long will it be producing those cards?
Answer to the first question is around the beginning of September, i believe.
Answer to the second question is, well, i dont know xD
I mean for how many months does Nvidia make FE cards for (for each model)? I understand they are limited editions?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
They're not limited editions. They're in the same production run as the AIB models, as I understand it.
A generation is usually in production for around 2 years, after which production is halted to start on the next one.

So yeah, you've got at least 1 year to get one through retail, of which the only OFFICIAL one is Best Buy for the time being.