Quantum Fireball

G

I'm wondering what any of your thoughts are on the Quantum 20.5 EIDE ULTRA-ATA/100 7200RPM 3.5LP FIREBALL AS. I find it to be quite fast and very quiet, and pretty cheap too. I was planning on getting 2 more to stick in my home server as a RAID 0 setup. Anyway I was wondering if any of you recommend this, or suggest using another drive. Thanks!

FatBurger

Illustrious
It's a good drive. It had DLB (Dynamic Liquid Bearings), which makes it super quiet (as you've noticed).

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

blue_heart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
The Quantum Fireball Plus AS is very very good drive, I have one of 30gb and it is doing the job perfectly, buy it and do not hesitate.
But do not forget to install the latest motherboard chipset drive and to use the right cables and make sure that your MB is ATA/100 and not 66.

good luck

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I don't know if you will be able to find them to easy seeing as they are dis-continued. If you can't find them look for the Maxtor D740X series and that's probably the drive you will want to get. It has the HDB and is 7200RPM. Technically the same as the FireBall Plus AS drive.

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

G

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not ordering anyting till january though, so hopefully I can still find some available. If not I'll take lar_coleman's advice and check out the Maxtor DiamondMax drives.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
the d740x by maxtor is ata-133, and very quiet.
it is very fast too..
dont know what bearings it uses, but they are runnin silent in my computer.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-