blue_heart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
I am narrowing my search for good HD, and my close options are Quantum Fireball plus AS 30gb and Seagae barcacuda ATAVI 40gb, so which one i have to choose?
Also i still need to know if there is any other HD better than above.

the HD will be used in server and 5 computers will be connected to the server, and it is for office use (no gaming no vedio editing).

Don't know much about the seagate one, but when I was choosing my HD my choices were down to the Quantum you've mentioned and the IBM 60GXP.

I chose the IBM because they're cooler, quieter, and cheaper. Apparently faster too.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink:

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I second that opinion. However, Quantum/Maxtor does make good drives too - even though I prefer IBM.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

blue_heart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
thanks guys for the notes, but when i went to www.storagereview.com i found that the Seagate Barracuda ATA VI has better performance than IBM and Quantum, but i do not know why all of you prefer the IBM than Seagate, is there any specific reason?

G

As someone mentioned earlier they are quiter, cooler and cheaper. They also said "apparently" faster... which is a matter of debate :).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Go with Seagate if you wish. They had problems for a while but their back on top now I think.
Most people don't remember when Seagate manufactured the most reliable drives in the business, Quantum was the worst, and Maxtor was a close second worst.
I have had 15-year old Segate drives that still worked perfectly, the only ones I've ever seen fail are their more recent budget class drives.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
When I bought my Seagate ATA 66 it was the fastest. When I bought my IBM ATA 100 it was the fastest. There all I buy. Maxtor has a ATA 133 out, but I won't even concider it.

defrage is child's play-fdisk