Queation on how to clean install Win 8.1 instead of updating Win 8

Hello guys,
I have just run the update to 8.1 from 8 via Ms. Store.
Do not get me wrong, everything works like charm after the update.
No noticeable bugs, crashes, slowliness, or whatsoever.

However...
I thought I would get an ISO file from the Ms. Store so that I can burn it to a media and clean install Win 8.1 from scratch instead of getting it like a patch or service pack on Win 8.
I searched everywhere for a legal download of Win 8.1 ISO file but either I am stupid or it is simply not available.

Can someone give a link to download the iso legally? for free if possible or if I have to pay max like the cost of Win 8 (pro x64, no media pack) upgrade from Win 7 which cost me last January 2013 about €30.

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Currently the ISO's are only available to MSDN or Technet subscribers.

Alternatively you would get a copy if you bought a brand new Windows 8.1 licence which is around £100 for the pro version.

Hoping they make them publicly available soon. Cba downloading a 3.4GB update every time someone wants to update.

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Not an ideal solution but I have found something useful.
http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57608376-285/how-to-download-the-official-microsoft-windows-8.1-iso/

The ISO obtained is a full Windows 8.1 installation DVD for whatever version of Windows 8 you have running (Core/Pro, x86/x64 etc). You can burn this to a disk and use it to upgrade from 8 to 8.1 without having to download the files again. Ideal if you have a few machines to upgrade.
[EDIT: Some sites say this is possible, others say you need a Windows 8.1 product key. Not sure which is correct]

If you want to do a clean install you need a Windows 8.1 product key. A Windows 8 product key will not work.

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
That is why I said it's not ideal.

I was thinking you could do a clean install of Windows 8 then run this disk to upgrade to 8.1 straight away. Because nothing needs to be downloaded it wouldn't take more than 30 mins to upgrade.

Not a solution but a step in the right direction.