[SOLVED] Query about firewall

May 8, 2020
Hello my firewall shows that:
IP Passthrough OFF
NAT Default server OFF

Is this a problem in terms of security? If so, how can I change it?

Packet filter and advanced firewall are ON

Solution
Nat default server is like dmz. I don't know what passthrough is.

The packet filter and advanced firewall even if they are on have extremely limited value. Most this is to filter data from your internal machines going to the internet not the reverse. So it assumes some internal machine has already been compromised and is trying to stop it from attacking others. Almost all this is old technology. Almost all traffic now encrypted so any form of packet filtering is pretty much worthless.

The most important security feature for a home user is just having the NAT. As long as you do not set any port forwarding rules nothing can get into your network from the internet unless your internal machines talks to the remote...

The packet filter and advanced firewall even if they are on have extremely limited value. Most this is to filter data from your internal machines going to the internet not the reverse. So it assumes some internal machine has already been compromised and is trying to stop it from attacking others. Almost all this is old technology. Almost all traffic now encrypted so any form of packet filtering is pretty much worthless.

The most important security feature for a home user is just having the NAT. As long as you do not set any port forwarding rules nothing can get into your network from the internet unless your internal machines talks to the remote device first. Even the cheapest router will do the majority function of a firewall because of this.

A firewall is more used to prevent attack on a server that is providing services to internet uses and you must leave it open. Nobody would use home router/firewall to provide protection to a actual server so it is almost silly to have the function on devices they sell to primarily home users.

Solution
May 8, 2020

The most important security feature for a home user is just having the NAT. As long as you do not set any port forwarding rules nothing can get into your network from the internet unless your internal machines talks to the remote device first. Even the cheapest router will do the majority function of a firewall because of this.

A firewall is more used to prevent attack on a server that is providing services to internet uses and you must leave it open. Nobody would use home router/firewall to provide protection to a actual server so it is almost silly to have the function on devices they sell to primarily home users.

I have not set any rules. Do I need to set the NAT to on in someway, or is the current setting sufficient? (I am a newbie)

Nat is the basic function all routers have. A home router will not function with it turned off. Not sure you can turn it off even if you wanted to.
Do not run any rules unless you have a exact idea what you want to limit. Many routers will slow down when running firewall rules. On faster internet connection even simple firewall rules will bottleneck the connection.