[SOLVED] Query about GPU cleaning

Nov 22, 2021
So I have come across some videos on youtube in which people clean their GPU by properly disassembling it and applying proper thermal paste as well and also using IPA etc like this one:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DujnvdhGphk&ab_channel=GregSalazar

After watching these I started wondering about my GPU as well. I bought my Gigabyte 1060 6 GB windforce edition almost 4-5 years ago. I clean it and my whole cpu using a dust blower after every 1 or 2 months but I never thought about disassembling it and doing a proper clean. The dust blower doesnt remove dust properly from in between the fans and other components as I can see those dust particles after using the blower.

I have been noticing very high temperatures in in-game and idle as well... Like it reaches upto 82 degrees in most games like rainbow six and dead by daylight even when the settings are not maxed out. By dropping some settings and resolution I see it between 68-78 degrees.
So I was wondering if I do a proper clean up like this with proper thermal paste applied, will it improve the temperatures?
Even if it doesnt improve temps, is it better for me to do it to improve the life of my GPU? I am just scared to disassemble my gpu like this as i have never done it before and this is the only one I got and cant afford to get a new one or even used one atm with all the prices sky-rocketing..

Any suggestions guys? Should I try it?

Solution
Hey there,

Welcome to the forum!

So, you've asked some good questions, and also answered them at the same time! :)

Yes, those slight increases in temps over time, to the point where the idle/load temps are always higher than when first purchased. The best way to do that, is with a teardown like above. Getting new thermal paste (and a quality one like TG Kryo or Noctua NT H1) can really reduce temps in a major way over the stock paste, which after 4-5 years, is right on the cusp of doing a bad job cooling your GPU.

IMO, yes, you should try it. But watch the video and look at some forums about your model card, and makes sure you're comfortable with the task. It's not rocket science, it's just removing some screws, fans etc and taking...
Hey there,

Welcome to the forum!

So, you've asked some good questions, and also answered them at the same time! :)

Yes, those slight increases in temps over time, to the point where the idle/load temps are always higher than when first purchased. The best way to do that, is with a teardown like above. Getting new thermal paste (and a quality one like TG Kryo or Noctua NT H1) can really reduce temps in a major way over the stock paste, which after 4-5 years, is right on the cusp of doing a bad job cooling your GPU.

IMO, yes, you should try it. But watch the video and look at some forums about your model card, and makes sure you're comfortable with the task. It's not rocket science, it's just removing some screws, fans etc and taking good care to clean and replace the screws correctly when re-assembling. Use ISO 99% if you can get it for cleaning the old gunk off the GPU.

I'd advise to get a good magnetic toolset for the work, and have a little tub or group of them to place screws in, so you know in which order to put them back. It might seem daunting at first, but you will get it.

Maybe get an antistatic wrist band whilst working on the GPU, or just ground yourself once in a while, by touching something metal, that touches the floor.

Take it slow and handy, read, watch the videos and let us know how you get on :)

Reactions: Matt221412
Solution
Nov 22, 2021
Hey there,

Welcome to the forum!

IMO, yes, you should try it. But watch the video and look at some forums about your model card, and makes sure you're comfortable with the task. It's not rocket science, it's just removing some screws, fans etc and taking good care to clean and replace the screws correctly when re-assembling. Use ISO 99% if you can get it for cleaning the old gunk off the GPU.

I'd advise to get a good magnetic toolset for the work, and have a little tub or group of them to place screws in, so you know in which order to put them back. It might seem daunting at first, but you will get it.

Maybe get an antistatic wrist band whilst working on the GPU, or just ground yourself once in a while, by touching something metal, that touches the floor.

Take it slow and handy, read, watch the videos and let us know how you get on :)

Thank you so much for your awesome reply :D
Today I did the task myself and everything went fine. Seeing and expecting some great results :)

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead