Query about Powerline, packet loss and online gaming.

Hi

I have been having this issue for years and decided to post to see if I can get it resolved.

Since first pc gaming back in 2014 I have always had a random frame hitch while playing online games that involve other players, you name It it's happening on it.

Most recently I get it more on Rising Storm 2 Vietnam which I've got near 300hrs on as I love the gameplay so much that I see past the frame hitching in online play. When playing BF1 I pulled up the networks stats and when I got the split second hitch the packet loss went up.

I use a TP-Link Powerline adapter my Dad bought me (it's the cheapest one). I always just thought it was buggy Nvidia drivers but now on my third system this is getting dumb.

We have the standard Virgin Media Superhub. I'm thinking of throwing out the Powerline adapter and just getting the Netgear AC1200 USB dongle that a friend recommended. Also I frequently drop connection and have to turn the adapter on and off again which is irritating. Funny thing is I never see issues in Phantom Pain when raiding FOB's.

What are your thoughts? Is it a network issue or some piece of tech messing my connection like the router for example.

Solution
-70dBm is a decent signal ... I would rather see -50 to -60, but in a 100 year old house you probably have thicker walls than most of us (plaster and lathe, if you want to get technical).

If you do get the dongle, you might also want to get a 3 or 6 foot USB extension cable, so you can place the dongle in the best place (behind a computer all crammed up against a wall is not usually the best).
What is packet loss ... basically, a data packets has been so garbled by interference that it is discarded or a packet has sat in a send buffer too long and is discarded. Both are network issues. Interference can occur on any segment, but is most likely to happen at a server that is overloaded, on the last mile (from your ISP to you), or from your router to you if you are using WiFi or Powerline. Sitting in the buffer can occur when an ISP is getting more traffic than they can handle ... it's less likely on your own network.

For you .. will WiFi be better than powerline ... maybe ... maybe not. You can download a "WiFi analyzer" app on your phone that will tell you the quality of WiFi in different places. If you WiFi quality is low, then you will not be better off.

Then again, it could be your ISP.

It's one of those test and find out situations.

Thanks for the response.

So am I right presuming this frame hitch/stutter is from packet loss or interference.

The house I live in is 100+yrs old so I wouldn't be surprised if the cables in the walls weren't as good as they use to be as that can be a factor when using a Powerline. It may also be that it's a budget one.

I used a samsung app and in my computers room the WiFi is the highest out of all the others in range. It says I'm getting -70dBm for my Superhub whatever that means. But it does change to -80 sometimes.

What do you think I should do as I'm tempted to get the dongle. When the connections drops it's only my of that's doing it not my phone so I'm think that the Powerline is suspect...

-70dBm is a decent signal ... I would rather see -50 to -60, but in a 100 year old house you probably have thicker walls than most of us (plaster and lathe, if you want to get technical).

If you do get the dongle, you might also want to get a 3 or 6 foot USB extension cable, so you can place the dongle in the best place (behind a computer all crammed up against a wall is not usually the best).

Solution