Query about the lifetime of SSDs

timupn

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
Hi Everyone

About half a year ago, I purchased an Intel S3500 SSD for my laptop. My OS is currently running on it. According to the Intel SSD Toolbox, the Estimated Life Remaining is still at 100%. This leads me to believe that I will die of old age before the SSD dies, assuming that the rate of usage of the SSD does not rise. (I am currently 47.) However, I have just read something about SD cards on another forum which says that any flash storage will start to decay after about five years, even if it is completely switched off and is sitting on a shelf. Does anyone on this forum have even the roughest of ideas how long my S3500 will last before it starts to lose the data that is stored on it?

Please note that the S3500 has actually been designed for data centres.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Tim

All drives are different, but based on even only half of its life expectancy, you should be able to use it for a long time. However your question is unclear; will you use the drive for several years or store data on it and then store it for a very long time? No matter how good that SSD is, backups still are required because the best units could/will eventually fail. I wouldn't presume that it could last for up to 200 years.

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead WARNING . That will link you to a site where mass murder is rampant. Weak stomachs and hearts should steer clear of that site. Poor defenseless SSDs are sent to camps where they will literally work themselves to death. They are very graphic about their "testing"(read slow and painful death) procedures. They are sadists in the truest sense of the word so they they are thorough as well.