Query for RAM(SIMM, DDR & Rambus) configuration in

G

Query for RAM(SIMM, DDR & Rambus) configuration in Intel Pentium 4 Systems
I am a layman in computer engineering. I would be pleased if any experience person would respond to my concern for selecting appropriate RAM configuration for a new Pentium 4 (P4) system.

Config. No. 1
P4 1.6GHz, 1024MB PC133 RAM (using Intel motherboard with 845i chipsets)
Config. No. 2
P4 1.6GHz, 512MB PC2100 RAM (using Intel motherboard with 845d chipsets or VIA P4x266)
Config. No. 3
P4 1.6GHz, 256MB PC800 Rambus (using Intel motherboard with 850i chipsets)

It is assumed that the approximate bandwidth ratio of SIMM, DDR and Rambus memory are as follows:-
1000GMhz, 2000GMhz, 3000GHz (i.e. 1:2:3)
Suppose 1GB of data to be handled by a Pentium 4 system under above Config. No. 1, 2 & 3

Scenario1
The time requires for Config. No. 1 would be:-
1GB data from CPU to RAM = 1 unit second
1GB data from RAM to CPU = 1 unit second
Overall time required = 2 unit seconds

Scenario2
The time requires for Config. No. 2 would be:-
(Due to insufficient capacity of memory, 1GB data have to split into 2 portions)
1st Portion
0.5GB data from CPU to RAM = 0.5 unit second
0.5GB data from RAM to CPU = 0.5 unit second
2nd Portion
0.5GB data from CPU to RAM = 0.5 unit second
0.5GB data from RAM to CPU = 0.5 unit second
Overall time required = 0.5x4 = 2 unit seconds

Scenario3
The time requires for Config. No. 3 would be:-
(Due to insufficient capacity of Ram, 1GB data have to split into 3 portions)
1st Portion
0.3GB data from CPU to RAM = 0.3 unit second
0.3GB data from RAM to CPU = 0.3 unit second
2nd Portion
3rd Portion
Overall time required = 0.33*6 = 2.0 unit seconds

If the above scenario corrects?????
My questions are:-
Which memory factor (i.e. capacity or speed) will be predominant the performance of a P4 system? (Please note that my future system will be used for extensive finite element analysis and 3D rerendering works, which might spend more than 15 minutes for completing a job in my old Pentium 100MHz system).

Currently, I am still using Windows 95OSR2 as my existing platform and I consider swapping to Windows XP platform for my new P4 system. Would any person advise me how many system memory of Windows XP would pre-occupy after initial boot-up stage?

I heard some rumours regarding such OS; it might occupy about 100MB for system memory after initial boot-up stage. If that is the case, I just wonder that Config. No. 3 (i.e. 256MB of Rambus) would not be sufficient for running finite element programme! Is this true?

I am genuinely concerned about the cost-effectiveness and system stability (i.e. no needs for re- boot in at least 2 or 3 days) for a new P4 system which might be stayed with me for the next 3-5 years.

Basically, I am an ordinary end-user for surfing the net, using MS office and playing flight simulator after work. Would any experience person advise me if there are real difference (can be felt by "naked eye" rather than numerical benchmarks) of a P4 system for using SIMM, DDR and Rambus just for the above-mentioned purposes at home???

By the way, any advise on VIA P4X266 PE11-L against Intel D845BG i845-D (already available in retail market) motherboard?
VIA offers 3 Nos. DDR slot, but Intel offers 2 only. At present, DDR memory still seems expensive, especially the 512Mb modus. I tend to choose VIA because it has more DDR memory slot for later expansion. My only concern is whether VIA motherboard offers same level of stability as Intel motherboard?

Thank you very much for your attention.

Regards,

Brian Ho
brianho@hkstar.com
(p.s. with appreciation in direct response on email)

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Whatever you do, DO NOT USE SDRAM on a P4 platform. They are very very slow. DDR RAM will currently give you the most bang for the buck. I would get a DDR system. Sufficed to say, your calculations do not apply because there are many many variables that affect RAM performance: bandwidth, latency, bus speed, processor type, processor cache size, etc. In most tasks, DDR RAM will be as fast as RDRAM so I'd go with DDR RAM.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
personally... i dould get the upgraded P4X266A or the SiS 645.

RDRAM has high bandwidth, but where i come from its almost twice as expenisive still, you HAVE to install it in pairs, and RDRAM mobo's are also more expensive.

DDR has much greater commonality.

and just forget sdram for the p4.

- Know thyself
- Seek
- Love
- Cherish Life
- And do not Yield!