• Find an incredible deal for Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Share those epic bargains with the community by posting them in this forum thread!

Question Questins regarding my new setup (3700X / Asus ROG Strix X570-E / Red Devil 5700 XT)

Aug 14, 2019
I recently decided to do a complete overhaul of my Ryzen 2600X (B450) / RTX 2060 system. I am upgrading to a Ryzen 3700X and a PowerColor Red Devil 5700 XT on an Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard (full setup below). I guess I'm just looking for some advice from owners of the aforementioned products and I have a few questions as well.

The Ryzen 3700X will be my first dive into Zen2 and I'd appreciate any tips as far as optimizing the processor for gaming and a bit of video editing. I'm completely unfamiliar with Asus products as well (especially as far as bios/overclocking options), as this will be the first Asus motherboard I've ever owned. Ever since I started building and tweaking custom systems (basically the past 15 - 20 years) I've run nothing but NVIDIA graphics cards. So, this will also be the very first AMD GPU I've owned and I am rather unfamiliar with it's options/features.

Questions:

1) Does the Ryzen 3000 series have the same issue with the Windows scheduler that Zen+ did? When running my 2600X, I found that there were multiple timers that needed to be disabled/tweaked in order to get the smoothest gaming performance (i.e disabling High Precision Event Timer in Device Manager, Disabling the 'platformclock' though Command Prompt, setting a custom 'Timer Resolution', etc). Do I need to take the same steps with the 3700X?

2) Which Windows 10 power plan is best for gaming with the Ryzen 3700X? I currently get the best gaming results from my 2600X when running the 'High Performance' plan. Are the 'AMD Power Plans' (included with the chipset drivers) any good for Ryzen 3000? Or should I just stick to 'High Performance'?

3) What options should I tweak in the Asus bios as far as CPU? Is PBO even worth it for gaming? Or should i just run it stock and let Precision Boost do its thing?

4) I own 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die memory and with my 2600X I seems to get the best performance when running it at 3400 cl 14 with tight sub-timings at 1.4v. Does anyone have experience with running B-die on the Asus ROG Strix x570-E Gaming mobo? If so, do you have any tips as far as memory overclocking? I know the Asus bios is MUCH more in-depth than my b450 Tomahawk and offers many more options as far as tweaking/OCing. Are there any particular settings I need to be aware of?

5) I've been using the NVIDIA Control Panel ever since I got into PC building many years ago. I understand the AMD version of the NVIDIA Control Panel is the AMD 'Adrenalin' software. How does this software compare to the NVIDIA Control Panel? Are there any key features I should be aware of? Any major differences?

Thanks in advance for any info regarding my new hardware. I will post my complete upgraded system specs below.

SYSTEM:
CPU:
Ryzen 7 3700X
Mobo: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
RAM: G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14
GPU: PowerColor Red Devil RX 5700 XT
M.2 nVME: Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (500gb)
SSD: WD Blue SSD (1tb)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB
PSU: Corsair CX650
Monitor: Acer KG271 (27" 144hz)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS