Question - 1966 Williams Hot Line

oldschool

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I found one of these in a garage of a house my buddy is buying. The
sellers said they would consider letting it go. Never having owned any
pins from the 60's, I don't really know how much of a good time it will
be to play as I'm shopping it out. The bg, cab and pf are nice. Just
minor specs of paint loss on the glass. Game works. VERY sluggish
however. New rubbers would help a bit I assume.

Basically, I guess my question would be - Is this game a good example
of mid 60's pinball play? I don't imagine it could take the place of
any game in my 'stable'. But I do enjoy the playing, cleaning, playing
stage before selling.

Or should I just skip it.

OldSchool

absolutly, it is a great example of sixties technology, actually the
spelling of the letters on the playfield was inovative for its time.
it is also a shot makers pinball. dont expect to score lots of points
unless your aim is good. I owned this machine for a while and just
sold it to make room for my bally expressway. i recommend this game
both for nostalgia but for difficult play. If you can get it for a
song, steal it! If you have any questions let me know

Ctsteps5

owner of
71 Bally Expressway, 72 Williams Superstar,
74 Williams Star Pool, 75 Gottlieb Fast Draw.

Moderator of EM Pinball Group
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/empinbalmachines/

FLiPPY

Distinguished
May 18, 2003

I have a Big Strike which is the Add A Ball version of Hot Line.
I like the game a lot. I think you will find if you clean the game up
it will not be sluggish. One the ball gets into the 5 pop bumpers it
really starts zipping around. Sometimes I don't even have to
use the flippers very much. It's more about nudging the ball around
the middle playfield trying to spell out H-O-T-L-I-N-E.
The return gate is a nice feature. If you like small flippers games
I think you will like this one.

"OldSchool" <pballwiz1966@aol.com> wrote in message
> I found one of these in a garage of a house my buddy is buying. The
> sellers said they would consider letting it go. Never having owned any
> pins from the 60's, I don't really know how much of a good time it will
> be to play as I'm shopping it out. The bg, cab and pf are nice. Just
> minor specs of paint loss on the glass. Game works. VERY sluggish
> however. New rubbers would help a bit I assume.
>
> Basically, I guess my question would be - Is this game a good example
> of mid 60's pinball play? I don't imagine it could take the place of
> any game in my 'stable'. But I do enjoy the playing, cleaning, playing
> stage before selling.
>
> Or should I just skip it.
>
> OldSchool

Game really surprised me I really liked it when I played it at the York
show last year, it's a ton of fun to send the ball into the bumpers,
definately make the tilt "loose" on it, it's a blast to shake the
machine while it's in the bumpers. On my list to obtain for sure.

seymour-shabow@excite.com wrote:
> Game really surprised me I really liked it when I played it at the York
> show last year, it's a ton of fun to send the ball into the bumpers,
> definately make the tilt "loose" on it, it's a blast to shake the
> machine while it's in the bumpers. On my list to obtain for sure.

This is one of those games that exemplifies the "come oh-so-close--try
again" difficulty level that the pin makers were striving for. This is
a difficult game to do well on, and therefore I always liked it. Easy
machines get boring in a hurry. Nice theme, spelling out the letters
takes some real skill and you've got to simply grind away at scoring
points little by little to make the replay. I say get it!
Brian Saunders Pinballs of the Past Lerna, Il.

TRENDING THREADS