Question Question about 1 way, 2 way and 3 way speakers.

Maramsp

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2016
Hello there.

Since im looking to replace my current home cinema set, and since i have made a deal with myself to not buy stuff second hand anymore that im gonna use very much, and since my purse is not endless, i ended up with either the:

Logitech z906, or perhaps, if i can find it new still, the edifier s760d.

In case of not finding it new anymore, i most likely end up with the z906.

But then i perhaps want to replace my center speaker which out of the box is a full range 1 way speaker.

I was looking then to get a 2 or 3 way center speaker, to at least get a few mids back, cause the set normally have very good high's and lows, but is lacking some mids.

So does that work out of the box, to hook a 3 way speaker as a center to make sure i have a separate inbuild speaker for the mids?

Or should the reciever also be able to send out a 3 way signal?

I think it could be either way, but im really not sure about it.

So anyone maybe can shed a light on it, and tell me whats normally the way speakers and recievers work?

Thank you very much in advance.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Receiver sends out full range to all speakers which in turn is dealt with via crossover/coil or speaker ability. In some cases you have the ability to do a low frequency cut, for instance in regard to "small" bookshelf speakers being used in conjunction with a subwoofer.
The "# way" moniker is in relation to having either (1) full range, (2) woofer and tweeter, or (3) tweeter, midrange, woofer. It is not in relation to the signal being sent from the receiver, but rather in how many (drivers on the) speakers and how that signal is being handled once there by design parameter.

Maramsp

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2016
Receiver sends out full range to all speakers which in turn is dealt with via crossover/coil or speaker ability.

So all in all, if i fetch a center speaker with the crossover ability that should divide the signal then all is fine?

The "# way" moniker is in relation to having either (1) full range, (2) woofer and tweeter, or (3) tweeter, midrange, woofer. It is not in relation to the signal being sent from the receiver, but rather in how many speakers and how that signal is being handled once there by design parameter.

So in this case, when editing the speaker setup of the z906, the edited result would be:

4 tweeter speakers, for left/right, rear left/right.
1 3 way center speaker (the edited part)
1 subwoofer

So would it work then in that setup?

I am completely new on this subject, cause i have always used a very old home cinema system from philips, that is starting to break down on me.

Thanks in advance again.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Keep in mind that both the Logitech and the Edifier systems you listed are self powered and only need an input source, which could be PC output, an "iPod" or phone, etc. There is no real need for a receiver for those type systems. You will not be using the powered speaker outputs on a receiver (amp) with those and editing the speakers to something else may well not work. The whole system (of these types) is already wired and has specific places to plug in each component which in turn is matched to the power output/impedence etc. as a baked in solution.

If you have an A/V receiver you would want to buy a matched set of non powered speakers/drivers that were of an appropriate size and power limit to the output of the unit.

As a "for instance" my home theater uses a Denon receiver and I have a 5.1 set of Klipsch Reference speakers. All of the "bookshelf" speakers are full range 2 way speakers. The center channel speaker actually has two "mids" and a tweeter, but is still 2 way. Along with this I have a Klipsch powered subwoofer. There is a band pass and gain on the sub and additionally controls within the receiver to fine tune the crossover point as well as a selection for large or small speakers which also control low pass.

Maramsp

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2016
Keep in mind that both the Logitech and the Edifier systems you listed are self powered and only need an input source, which could be PC output, an "iPod" or phone, etc. There is no real need for a receiver for those type systems. You will not be using the powered speaker outputs on a receiver (amp) with those and editing the speakers to something else may well not work. The whole system (of these types) is already wired and has specific places to plug in each component which in turn is matched to the power output/impedence etc. as a baked in solution.

If you have an A/V receiver you would want to buy a matched set of non powered speakers/drivers that were of an appropriate size and power limit to the output of the unit.

As a "for instance" my home theater uses a Denon receiver and I have a 5.1 set of Klipsch Reference speakers. All of the "bookshelf" speakers are full range 2 way speakers. The center channel speaker actually has two "mids" and a tweeter, but is still 2 way. Along with this I have a Klipsch powered subwoofer. There is a band pass and gain on the sub and additionally controls within the receiver to fine tune the crossover point as well as a selection for large or small speakers which also control low pass.

Hmm, there is a third option maybe then.

As i use a creative soundblaster x-fi titanium fatal1ty pro sound card, i have 10 options of hz i can configure.
So if i want to have more mid sounds, then i can presumably adjust the volume of the 250hz, 500hz, 1khz, and 2khz, to raise the mids then.
Am i correct that cause of the z906 having full range speakers, this would work to raise then only the mid's?
Or cause of the speakers are full range, its not that simple to adjust the mid's volume?

Again tyvm for an answer

TRENDING THREADS