Question about 1440p

gonemad61

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
I was planning on upgrading in monitor soon as well as pc I plan on building a pc with a gtx 970 and i5 4690k and 8gbs of ram my question is would that be enough to run modern games and future games at 1440p at say high setting and maybe more at 60 fps

Solution

With respect, I tend to disagree. You'll note on the 2nd page of the review you referenced, "all games are set to their highest quality settings unless otherwise indicated".

So while I agree you won't be able to run demanding games on max or ultra at 60fps, I actually think the 970 is a pretty good fit for 1440p @ 60hz. High settings should run on all but the most crazy-demanding of games. The "GeForce experience" utility often automatically...

With respect, I tend to disagree. You'll note on the 2nd page of the review you referenced, "all games are set to their highest quality settings unless otherwise indicated".

So while I agree you won't be able to run demanding games on max or ultra at 60fps, I actually think the 970 is a pretty good fit for 1440p @ 60hz. High settings should run on all but the most crazy-demanding of games. The "GeForce experience" utility often automatically chooses pretty good mix of settings for games and I don't think youll have to compromise too much to get consistently good fps at 1440p.

Here's another quick list of games and settings which gives you a reasonable idea of the kind of performance you're looking at: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1355

Remember that the 970 is a really solid overclocker as well. So getting an extra 15% or more is possible on lots of cards.

Solution

I don't understand. You link shows that even at medium to high at 1440P he still will have well under 60FPS in many games, let alone looking to the future.