[SOLVED] Question about 240HZ monitor

zacklogan1994

Prominent
Jul 3, 2019
So I just bought the alienware aw2518hf 240HZ monitor the games I play usually only run at 150-180 frames should I changes the Hz to 144 or keep it at 240hz. Also I am getting motion blur on the monitor as well is that normal for 240Hz? if not how can I fix it? Thanks

Solution
You want the monitor frequency higher than the game FPS. So game at 180fps and monitor at 240hz is perfect. Then enable Freesync and the monitor with automatically adjust to match the games FPS for super smooth motion.

If you had the monitor at 144hz and game at 180fps you get screen tearing. You could use VSync to reduce the FPS to 144 to reduce tearing but that increases input lag. This is why you use Freesync. The monitor will auto adjust to match the FPS of the game to reduce problems with tearing, blur, missed frames, etc....

If you happen to ever play a game where the FPS are reaching values over 240hz this can cause problems too. The solution is to limit the FPS to 240. One way is through VSync which increases input...
Leave it on 240.

What graphics card do you have?

If you have a AMD enable Freesync in the Radeon settings

If you have a Nvidiacard enable adaptive sync in the Nvidia Control Panel.

You may have to go into the monitors on screen controls and actually enable the freesync/adaptive sync technology before you can enable it on the drivers.

gondo

Distinguished
You want the monitor frequency higher than the game FPS. So game at 180fps and monitor at 240hz is perfect. Then enable Freesync and the monitor with automatically adjust to match the games FPS for super smooth motion.

If you had the monitor at 144hz and game at 180fps you get screen tearing. You could use VSync to reduce the FPS to 144 to reduce tearing but that increases input lag. This is why you use Freesync. The monitor will auto adjust to match the FPS of the game to reduce problems with tearing, blur, missed frames, etc....

If you happen to ever play a game where the FPS are reaching values over 240hz this can cause problems too. The solution is to limit the FPS to 240. One way is through VSync which increases input lag. Another method is through game settings if it has FPS limiter built in. And a third is to use an app to limit your game FPS to around 10 lower than your monitors refresh rate (230Hz) and enable adaptaive sync (Freesync).

So set monitor to 240Hz, and enable Freesync. Any game under 240fps the Freesync will auto match it and display perfect video. If you are over 240fps you can use a program to limit your FPS in games to 230. Always have VSync off in game settings.

Solution

zacklogan1994

Prominent
Jul 3, 2019
Leave it on 240.

What graphics card do you have?

If you have a AMD enable Freesync in the Radeon settings

If you have a Nvidiacard enable adaptive sync in the Nvidia Control Panel.

You may have to go into the monitors on screen controls and actually enable the freesync/adaptive sync technology before you can enable it on the drivers.
yes i used the amd software and it is enabled

gondo

Distinguished
It is a known issue with some 240Hz monitors incuding alienware. People are playing with settings, reducing refresh rates to 200Hz etc.... In the end it's accepted that enabling Freesync with a Radeon card, or Freesync compatibility mode with NVidia removes the motion blur. Also try a display port cable instead of HDMI. Depending on the HDMI cable you may not support the full 240Hz bandwidth.