Question Question about 2nd intake fan position

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Please have a look at my attached photo of my system. The second front intake fan is blowing right on the video card. Do think it would sense to go through all the inconvenient motion to move it slightly down so that most of it blows under the card, or do you think it is better the way it is? I know trying it out would be a way finding out. But before I do that I wanted to see if someone has some experience with a similar set up. Thanks....

By the way, main purpose is gaming. usually GPU and CPU have similar temps, with CPU running hotter in Cyberpunk. This is my first system in which the CPU runs hotter than GPU in some games. Just shows you how overkill the cooling is on most 4080s.....

View: https://imgur.com/a/ZakrBI6

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I'd move the bottom front fan down. Since at it's current position, it is as good as not having a fan there (because most, if not all airflow is blocked off).

First I was thinking the same thing, but then I noticed that a lot of real hot air comes out of the side of the GPU.....in the current setups some air is blown along the card....I think I really need to just try it out.... 😕

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Your GPU is open air type and idea with PC airflow is: bottom and front - intake; top and rear - exhaust.

So, when you'd have front bottom fan lower, it would create a gap between two fans, giving your GPU a bit better airflow path, from bottom to top (around the end edge of a GPU), while most of the air would go up between the GPU and side panel of your PC case.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
In case no one is able to share their experiences:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10ERchM9Q6g

See 4:28, "Smoke"
But yes, nothing beats doing your own tests.

Just shows you how overkill the cooling is on most 4080s.....
Quite the opposite - shows just how inefficient cpu cooling is, and spits in the face of sayers for how liquid cooling is a must for cpus, when they have far lower power demands.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Quite the opposite - shows just how inefficient cpu cooling is, and spits in the face of sayers for how liquid cooling is a must for cpus, when they have far lower power demands.
Exactly this. Liquid cooling is a Choice, an Option, up until a certain cpu wattage, then it becomes a must. There are always exceptions, but even those are still limited to cpu wattage as the restrictive factor.

As for the fan, drop it. It's doing exactly nothing for the cpu or actual airflow, all its doing is pumping air into the case, any force behind that air being blocked by the gpu heatsink. By dropping it, that air will at least be good for gpu supply, even if some is still blocked by gpu/psu.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
On cooling standpoint, i'd look into changing the air pressure within the system.

Current setup is Positive pressure, and while it results the least amount of dust, it is also least efficient in terms of cooling, compared to Neutral pressure or even Negative Pressure.

Here, i'd go with Neutral or even Negative Pressure.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh6F2eccMec

I have my systems running in slight Negative Pressure, for optimal cooling. And dust isn't an issue for me either since i have aftermarket intake filters, while cleaning my PC internals from dust, when needed.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Quick update. I moved the lower intake fan down about 1 inch. That was as far as I could do it without drilling holes. Now the fan is blowing mostly under the card but still a little bit on the card. But not over the card anymore. If dropped anymore some of the air would have been blown into the HDD bay area and the PSU and would have got trapped in there. After a couple of hours playing Cyberpunk I feel that the temps are down slightly. But not a big change. But temps are not a big issue anyway. Considering the CPU and the size of GPU and the size of my case, temps in 70s for both and literally barely any fan noise is decent. If I want lower temps I need a bigger case....

Thanks to all!

mjbn1977

Distinguished
On cooling standpoint, i'd look into changing the air pressure within the system.

Current setup is Positive pressure, and while it results the least amount of dust, it is also least efficient in terms of cooling, compared to Neutral pressure or even Negative Pressure.

Here, i'd go with Neutral or even Negative Pressure.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh6F2eccMec

I have my systems running in slight Negative Pressure, for optimal cooling. And dust isn't an issue for me either since i have aftermarket intake filters, while cleaning my PC internals from dust, when needed.

Yeah, I really don't like the dust in their.....