Question about 52x cdrom

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
Well, a while back, i had a 52x cd-rom.
i bought it, used it for three months, and then it stopped working.
it stopped working when i had my friends hard drive sitting on top of it, so that he could play diablo2....friggin addict.
whatever...
but what happens when i put a cd in is i hear it start to spin, but then it stops spinning.
is there a firmware that can be flashed in a cd-rom?
could the motor be dead? and if why, then why does it sound like it is trying to start.
the model number of the drive is: BCD F560A
it was manufactured by TOP-G
dont know if this ocmpany has a place that you can download the firmware, or if someone else has it...
if anyone knows how to fix these things, then feel free to help me...
hehe
i would like to be able to use this thing, as i am trying to build a file server out of my old computer, and i would like to have at least a cdrom.....i have no floppy drives around...and would like to spend as little money on this thing as possible...
but if i have to, i will buy a cd burner for my computer, and put the 40x in the file server.
i would rather be able to use the 52 as the file server's, unless i can get it working reliably.
any help would be great...
oh yeah, and there was a 1 year warranty on this thing, which is well over now, but when it died, i tried to get it fixed on warranty.
unfortunately, there was no way to contact the manufacturer.
i went to fry's where i bought it, and they said that i had to contact the manufacturer...i asked them for the phone number, but they said they didnt have it.
i couldnt find the manufacturer's contact for the us..i would have to call Gong Guan City, Guang Dong, China.
that would be quite a call...
thanks in advance.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

svol

Champion
My old 16x CDROM in my server also had a similair problem: when you put a CD in it, it spin very short and nothing happens.
I opened the drive and it appeared that the engine which moves the laser was stucked, I gently pulled the laserholder to the center of the drive which unlocked the engine.
After I assembled it the drive worked perfect again.

Maybe this can help.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i tried that....because i thought that was the problem...
but to no avail....
could the motor that spins the cd have a problem?
or could the laser e out of whack? like it cant "see" the cd?

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

svol

Champion
Could be both, from my experience a cd will only start spinning if the laser detects it, but if the motor that spins the CD is bad then it will obviously not work.
You could try the motor outside the CDROM to see if it still functions, if so it will be the laser that has gone bad.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .