[SOLVED] Question about 7.1 surround headsets.

Roseblackstom

Commendable
Jun 30, 2019
Hi there I have a 7.1 surround sound question, also forgive me if I'm asking this in the wrong place. I currently have a RUNMUS 2K Pro headset. It uses a 3.5 mm jack. It's been a pretty good headset but I want to use 7.1 surround sound but it seems either the headset or my pc doesn't support it. I looked all over my sounds settings and can't find an opinion for 7.1. I can't even get 5.1 surround sound to work with this headset and that is an opinion I can choose in my settings, all I can do is stereo and quadraphonic. I honestly don't know which is which and can't find anything online as a clear answer. I can't even find my sound card model, all I know is it is a RealTek(R) Audio, and it is integrated into an Inspiron 3670 Dell. I really want some better sound quality and surround for the game Dead By Daylight and that the main reason I started looking into this. I have found a decent 7.1 surround sound stereo headset on amazon(an EKSA Gaming Headset) for $30. It uses a USB connection. My question is base on this info I have given do you think it's safe to buy this headset or is it my sound card not supporting 7.1? I hope I gave as much info needed and hope someone can help because I rather not buy another $30 headset just to find out I cannot get the sound quality I want.

Solution

From that link, your headset has only a single 3.5mm jack? That tells me it's not a 7.1 or even 5.1 headset. If it does claim to support that, it's a software only "virtual" surround. I had a real 5.1 headset from Turtle beach. Used three 3.5mm jacks for all the speakers in the headset. That's a real surround set.

I know USB audio is a thing now, but I personally don't like it. Audio things should use audio plugs. Not data plugs. But I'm old school. I did learn all those things with USB plugs use their own soundcard. So if you have a fancy high end sound card and are using a USB headset/speakers, you aren't using your soundcard.

Speakers...
your headset should've come with a USB or optical adapter to use the surround feature.

if you've lost it or this item wasn't included in the packaging you may need to contact the manufacturer to get a replacement.
all I can do is stereo and quadraphonic. I honestly don't know which is which
stereo is Left & Right = 2.0
quadraphonic is Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left, Rear Right = 4.0

4745454b

Titan

From that link, your headset has only a single 3.5mm jack? That tells me it's not a 7.1 or even 5.1 headset. If it does claim to support that, it's a software only "virtual" surround. I had a real 5.1 headset from Turtle beach. Used three 3.5mm jacks for all the speakers in the headset. That's a real surround set.

I know USB audio is a thing now, but I personally don't like it. Audio things should use audio plugs. Not data plugs. But I'm old school. I did learn all those things with USB plugs use their own soundcard. So if you have a fancy high end sound card and are using a USB headset/speakers, you aren't using your soundcard.

Speakers, headsets, keyboards, mice, etc are all things you personally interface with. As such I have issues suggesting what to use. Our heads are different sizes, our perferences are different. I will say having used a real 5.1 setup before I wouldn't bother. The effect is there, but speakers that close together have issues making it really sound good. Now I just use a pair of comfy stereo headphones and call it good.

Solution
The best sound you will get from good headphones with a good audio chipset, not from cheap headphones with features crammed into them for marketing. If you want just good sound for around 30-50, HyperX Stinger are good, Corsair HS60 PRO come with a 5.1 virtual surround usb dongle that is OK, SteelSeries Arctis 1 are 50 and sound good, although no USB sound card for the virtual surround. You can try the Windows Spatial sound feature, it does change the sound and you may like it.