Question Question about 7900 XT temps

scandrews

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018
Over the past few days I've noticed the temps on my GPU have gone up.

I have an XFX 7900 XT Merc Black. Until recently I would run in the high 60s/low 70s while gaming. But now I hit in the mid 80s

Nothing is overclocked, and I have plenty of airflow.

What's confusing me is that I have a friend with the exact same system I have, except he has a Sapphire Pulse 7900 XTX. His GPU runs in the 60's/low 70's when gaming. But his card uses more power, and has more VRAM, so I thought it would be running hotter.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here's the specs of my system:

Intel 13600KF
Asus ROG Strix Z790-A MB
XFX 7900 XT Merc 310 GPU
64GB T-Force Delta DDR4 3600 (4x16)
Thermaltake ToughPower Grand 360MM AIO
3 Phanteks T30 120MM fans (AIO exhaust)
4 Noctua Chromax NF-A14 (3 intake, 1 exhaust
Corsaid RMe 1000 PSU
NZXT H5 Flow case

Airflow is not a problem. And I dust it every couple of weeks, so I don't think that would be an issue.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on, or are those temps normal?

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to see if your motherboard is pending any BIOS updates. Following that, I'd try and use DDU, remove all GPU drivers, then manually reinstall with the latest drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

I have a friend with the exact same system I have, except he has a Sapphire Pulse 7900 XTX.
By exact, you mean that your friend also has the same fans and the same fan orientation?

scandrews

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018
You might want to see if your motherboard is pending any BIOS updates. Following that, I'd try and use DDU, remove all GPU drivers, then manually reinstall with the latest drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

I have a friend with the exact same system I have, except he has a Sapphire Pulse 7900 XTX.
By exact, you mean that your friend also has the same fans and the same fan orientation?
I've done DDU twice.

Over the past few days I've noticed the temps on my GPU have gone up.

I have an XFX 7900 XT Merc Black. Until recently I would run in the high 60s/low 70s while gaming. But now I hit in the mid 80s

Nothing is overclocked, and I have plenty of airflow.

What's confusing me is that I have a friend with the exact same system I have, except he has a Sapphire Pulse 7900 XTX. His GPU runs in the 60's/low 70's when gaming. But his card uses more power, and has more VRAM, so I thought it would be running hotter.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here's the specs of my system:

Intel 13600KF
Asus ROG Strix Z790-A MB
XFX 7900 XT Merc 310 GPU
64GB T-Force Delta DDR4 3600 (4x16)
Thermaltake ToughPower Grand 360MM AIO
3 Phanteks T30 120MM fans (AIO exhaust)
4 Noctua Chromax NF-A14 (3 intake, 1 exhaust
Corsaid RMe 1000 PSU
NZXT H5 Flow case

Airflow is not a problem. And I dust it every couple of weeks, so I don't think that would be an issue.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on, or are those temps normal?
Is that mid 80ºs hot spot/junction temp or GPU core temp?
Almost all cards nowadays overclock themselves right out of the box, even reference/founder's.

80ºC is fine for that card.