Question about 8 to 4 pin cpu connector

blaine9887

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
My PSU only has a solid 8 pin on it, can I use it to power the 4 pin on the motherboard. And also when I installed the motherboard into the case it wouldn't line up with 2 of the standoffs.The are just slightly off, but it's sitting on the 2 standoffs...will it be fine the way it is?

No, the stand off are not safe to be just 2, you need to have a minimum of 4 Standoff to support the Mobo. Even more so if the standoff are metallic and you leave them on inside without the screws going thru the Mobo to hold it back..... there is chance that the alignment not being correct could short out the contacts at the back of the mobo....
Be very careful and see to it that the standoffs are in the right place for supporting whatever form factor mobo you have.
It is rarely known that the Mobo will have the holes in the wrong place, it is a 100% chance that either you left the standoff in the wrong holes or the case manufacturer messed it up , if it's not a well known company.

And yes, you can use the Solid 8 Pin Power connector from the PSU in the 4Pin socket on the Mobo, just make sure there are no tall capacitors or components that could be dislodged right next to the 4Pin Headers on the Mobo on which ever side the excessive/free 4 pins go.

alyoshka - I think he indicated that only 2 Out of the 8/9 did not match up, so he has 6 or 7 that do.

However I aggree that it is rare not to align. When enstalling do NOT tighten any of the screws until all screws can be started, just start the screw - Leaves a little wiggle room for alignment purpuse. When all screws are started then go back and tighten. I use the old "lug nut" method. Tighten one then go to diagaonally opposite one.

As to just leaving them misagilgned, need to look at the back side of the MB and verify that there is no adjacent trace that can be shorted. Not the best solution, put a piece of electrical tap over the two sand offs. personally I'd return the case, or modify it so that they did fit.

blaine9887

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I have 4 of the standoffs lined up with screws in them now, it's just the 2 at the bottom that aren't aligned. They are just barely off center so they are still connecting correctly. The cpu power connector fits in fine and clips in, but it doesn't have the 2 squared diagonal headers that are on the other side of the connector. Does it matter which four are connected?

No it doesn't matter which ones are connected as long as it's not the center 2.....means either the left of the 8 pins will go in or the right of the 8 pin goes in flush against one side and 4 are left out the other side.

The standoffs aren't exactly only connectors , some of them are and some of them aren't, that's the worrying part if the touch some contacts at the back of the mobo, you might have a problem.... especially where they should not be touching.
Otherwise all else seems to be fine.

TRENDING THREADS