[SOLVED] Question about 8gb radeon rx 5700 gddr6 pci-e dp/hdmi...

Oct 10, 2013
I recently got a new gaming computer. I have 2 HDD's that I want to put into the new pc. I noticed that the GPU, which is in the PCIe 1 slot, hangs over (covers) the SATA ports on the MB (it's an ASUS TUF Gaming x570). I am curious if I can move this GPU down to the PCIe 2 slot (to uncover where the SATA ports are) without any real hassle (meaning having to change anything in BIOS or such).

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
I recently got a new gaming computer. I have 2 HDD's that I want to put into the new pc. I noticed that the GPU, which is in the PCIe 1 slot, hangs over (covers) the SATA ports on the MB (it's an ASUS TUF Gaming x570). I am curious if I can move this GPU down to the PCIe 2 slot (to uncover where the SATA ports are) without any real hassle (meaning having to change anything in BIOS or such).

Thanks
Looking at the manual for the motherboard it does recommend the top pcie lane which is standard practice, usually has the highest bandwidth. Looking at the board though the sata ports come in from the side so you shouldn't have an issue with the cables even if the gpu covers them from the...

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016

Thanks
Looking at the manual for the motherboard it does recommend the top pcie lane which is standard practice, usually has the highest bandwidth. Looking at the board though the sata ports come in from the side so you shouldn't have an issue with the cables even if the gpu covers them from the front.

Solution
Oct 10, 2013
Looking at the manual for the motherboard it does recommend the top pcie lane which is standard practice, usually has the highest bandwidth. Looking at the board though the sata ports come in from the side so you shouldn't have an issue with the cables even if the gpu covers them from the front.

Okay. So it's best to leave the GPU in the PCIe 1 slot and just remove it temporarily when I want to add in another SATA cable.