Question about a dying Graphics card,

acer2dn

Reputable
Mar 8, 2018
If a GPU dies, Does it show like screen tearing or some weird lines going across the screen?
Or does it just shut off completely?

Solution
No, the displayed image just varies. It could be due to different components on the GPU board that were failing. For example in the videos I linked there were random lines in squares throughout the display. Another video just showed a very snowy display.

The one I'm most familiar had a more or less normal display at the top and bottom, but the center section was a mass of lines and streaks that went all the way across the display. And then it was toast.

acer2dn

Reputable
Mar 8, 2018

Does it depend on what GPU it is?
I run a GTX 1060 3GB.
It isn't overclocked either.

No, the displayed image just varies. It could be due to different components on the GPU board that were failing. For example in the videos I linked there were random lines in squares throughout the display. Another video just showed a very snowy display.

The one I'm most familiar had a more or less normal display at the top and bottom, but the center section was a mass of lines and streaks that went all the way across the display. And then it was toast.

Solution

acer2dn

Reputable
Mar 8, 2018

Looks weird af.
I've had my GTX 1060 3GB for about 3 months and already starting to see graphical glitches
in Rainbow Six Siege. In Siege when i load up the game drops to about 5 fps and then slowly rises again
When i play Siege the max temp is around 75c Sometimes it can touch 80c.
Sometimes when i play Fortnite i get random fps drops towards 30, With V-SYNC on because my monitor is garbage.
Idle at 44C

acer2dn

Reputable
Mar 8, 2018

When i bought the system i was able to look in the BIOS,
When i turn on my system, The TV shows No signal and then shows the lock screen or the screen with the password,
But wouldn't the screen show itself booting up like
where it shows "PRESS F12 TO BOOT TO BIOS" something like that?
Fast boot is turned off.
My res is 1360x720

Although I've never tried it,there are YouTube videos of baking old graphics cards to try and fix them. Apparently sometimes it works. I would be very skeptical though.

If you have a warranty on the graphics card that is active, then a warranty repair is a possibility. If the graphics card is relatively new (like yours), then you may be able to exchange it at your retailer. But that is up to the retailer after the return period has passed.

acer2dn

Reputable
Mar 8, 2018

Ah okay, Thank you.

Sometimes the BIOS takes a long time to run. For example, if there is a problem with the boot order. If it can't find the drive with the operating system, it will spend extra time looking for the drive with the operating system. And other times it will be quick and just give an error.

So that particular instance may be due to some other problem. I've seen that before. I've seen the BIOS screen flash by and then go to the Windows splash screen or login screen if you have a password.

Professur

Honorable
May 7, 2016
When my AMD R7 died, I was gaming FPS at 720p and my desktop was set at 1080p, and it just jumped back-and-forth between 720 and 1080 a few times. Then 30 mins later it just dropped dead.

When my 960 4GB died, it was a sudden shut down in the middle of a Netflix TV show... It was a system failure. My PSU EVGA 600B and H97 motherboard all went down together.