[SOLVED] Question about a Klein data cable installation kit.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Going to try to terminate my first cat6a cables and purchased a few Klein tools to do so.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-VDV-LAN-Scout-Jr-Tester-VDV526-052/202520420

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Twisted-Pair-Installation-Kit-VDV026-212/304087142

This has to be a dumb question, but I can't figure out the cutting device on the crimper. I assume you'd put the cable into the opening, squeeze to cut and starting terminating, but there are dual blades? If I put in the cable and squeeze, I'm going to cut the cable twice and have this little quarter inch chunk of cable that is cut from between the blades. What the heck and I missing here???

Solution
The two blades on the crimper are usually for the sheathing which has a gap between the blades and wire cutting which has no gap.

Personally I find a small pair of diagonal cutters to be easier to use than the wire cutter built into crimpers.

PERSONALLY, my method for terminating ethernet cable is to cut back the sheath about 2 inches. That gives you enough wire to straighten and correct the color coding. Then, while pinching the wires flat and in color-code between your thumb and finger, cut the wire to length. Then install in RJ45.

Although you waste RJ45s, I recommend practicing terminating 3 ft "jumpers" on both ends for practice. You can then test them to see if you got all 8 wires connected.

kanewolf

Titan
The two blades on the crimper are usually for the sheathing which has a gap between the blades and wire cutting which has no gap.

Personally I find a small pair of diagonal cutters to be easier to use than the wire cutter built into crimpers.

PERSONALLY, my method for terminating ethernet cable is to cut back the sheath about 2 inches. That gives you enough wire to straighten and correct the color coding. Then, while pinching the wires flat and in color-code between your thumb and finger, cut the wire to length. Then install in RJ45.

Although you waste RJ45s, I recommend practicing terminating 3 ft "jumpers" on both ends for practice. You can then test them to see if you got all 8 wires connected.

Reactions: axlrose
Solution

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Thanks. Thinking I might grab something else from the garage for cutting the cable off the spool then. I have about an 12" piece I cut off the spool right now. Trying a keystone on one side and an rj45 on the other side and I'll connect that and see if it works on my lan scout jr. tester. Thanks for the help.

Ralston18

Titan
And you can practice on old Cat 3, Cat 5 cables if available.

Likely to have a few around. If not your own, just ask family and friends for old ethernet cables.

Test the connectivity first. If okay, that means both ends are properly crimped. Then cut off only one end and re-crimp.

Then test again.

If connectivity is okay - your crimp is good.

If bad then you know that the one crimp you made is the culprit. Cut off the RJ45 connector that you installed and try again.

Repeat as necessary but always keep the original "good end".

May save you a few of those RJ45s.