Build Advice Question about a possible upgrade into a new build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 9, 2021
Good evening everyone!

First off, I am a semi-beginner regarding building PC's so I hope I will be able to give you guys all the relevant information. Sorry in advance if I missed mentioning something obvious!

My current build is from April 2014 with the following specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670
GPU: MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC
Board: ASRock H87 Pro4
RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (I will update the exact details once I get home, can not find the name at the moment)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R
SSD: Kingston 120GB SSD
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 (1 TB)
DVD(?): LiteOn iHAS124
PSU: Corsair RM750 (upgraded this last year)
Monitor Refresh Rate: 144 Hz

I have been enjoying this desktop, but I am starting to feel it is time for something new. I mainly use my desktop for gaming, with different needs for varying game types. In games like Fortnite, I prefer performance over quality, so I don't mind playing in low settings as long as the FPS remains high and stable. In games like Kingdom Come: Deliverance, I would like some medium to high graphics with smooth gameplay as well. My desktop is starting to fail me in both these areas, since I am starting to experience a lot of inconsistent framerates and stutters while playing shooters, while my desktop could only decently run Kingdom Come at the lowest settings. I have done some minor optimizing, but I am also already looking into the future which I can not see my current desktop being able to handle these new games. Since I expect to play these types of games in the foreseeable future, I was looking into either upgrading my current build or building a completely new desktop. This is where I would like to ask for the opinions of the more experienced people on this lovely forum.

My initial thought was to get a new build using my old PSU and case. However, after doing some reading up, I quickly learned that the GPU market is absolutely overpriced at the moment (seen some numbers of 200 to 300% increase in price for latest models). Since I was planning on a budget of around the €1200,- mark, I decided to lay off on the complete rebuild now to avoid overspending on the GPU.

This led me to the question I am here for. What is your guys opinion on upgrading half of the setup and keeping the old GPU until the GPU prices drop to upgrade that last part of the PC? Is it worth it to get a CPU like an i5-11400F with a compatible motherboard and RAM right now to already boost my gaming experience (Fortnite is bottlenecked by my CPU at 100% with my GPU being at max 80% right now, causing a very inconsistent framerate and stutters), or is it better to wait to get the CPU and GPU simultaneously when the prices drop? I know there might not be a definite answer to this question, I am just looking for some opinions of people with a lot more knowledge on the matter.

I apologize for the length of the post and I appreciate anyone taking the time to read through all this to help me with my beginner questions!

Thank you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Why_Me

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Murphy's Law is Universal and Indisputable. No if's, and's or butt's about it. There's no getting around it, over it, under it. It applies to Everything. It states that If something can go wrong, it Will, it's just a question of When.

The folks at Intel and Amd might be geniuses, wizards of electronic understanding and engineering, but the one thing they are Not, is Zoltar. They simply cannot forsee the amount of depravity and sheer determination to destroy infrastructure that hackers employ for nothing more than to prove a point.

Murphy's Law. Hackers are going to find security holes, they make them if necessary. It's all just a matter of WHEN, not IF they will find, create or exploit said holes or backdoor.

It's going to happen. And Intel has the world's second largest target painted on its logo, surplanted only by the target on Microsoft. Guaranteed right now there are still hard-headed nut jobs trying to crack Apple. It'll get done eventually.

May 9, 2021
Hello again guys!

I was just about to order the PC build Master Djoza recommended to me with the alteration Why_Me suggested as CPU fan. I was doing a final check on the motherboard (ASRock B560 Pro4 ATX) and I came across the following addition in their specifications regarding the supported RAM speed:

11th Gen Intel® Core™ (i9/i7/i5) support DDR4 up to 2933

Is this meaning I won't be able to run my RAM at 3200MHz with this setup? Maybe this is a silly question (since it is stated to support RAM speeds up to 4800), but I wanted to check in with people with more experience like you guys. Thank you all!

Hello again guys!

I was just about to order the PC build Master Djoza recommended to me with the alteration Why_Me suggested as CPU fan. I was doing a final check on the motherboard (ASRock B560 Pro4 ATX) and I came across the following addition in their specifications regarding the supported RAM speed:

11th Gen Intel® Core™ (i9/i7/i5) support DDR4 up to 2933

Is this meaning I won't be able to run my RAM at 3200MHz with this setup? Maybe this is a silly question (since it is stated to support RAM speeds up to 4800), but I wanted to check in with people with more experience like you guys. Thank you all!
I have no idea why it says that.
You should be able to get 3200MHz without a problem.

Reactions: Nistel