[SOLVED] Question about a potentially “locked” cpu

Jul 13, 2020
Hey guys,

Hope everyone is doing well! I have a question...

I decided to upgrade my older pc build rather than scrap it and get a new build going... I have a Asus x58 sabertooth motherboard that had an Intel i7 910 or 920 (2.6ghz) and recently upgraded to a Intel Xeon 3.09ghz because it was fairly cheap. It is a 1366 slot so my options are limited now adays. The processor increased performance but in a month or so I will get a i7 990x extreme (because I think its the best for my old motherboard?)...

Anyways, for now my processor is fine but I have an issue. I recently purchased 6x4gb-1660 DDR3 all together in a set. When I go into Bio’s it shows the DRAM frequency at 1333, and when in Windows, it only shows 16GB and not 24GB. So when I go into Bios to change the frequency to 1600, I get an error “Failed to overclock”. Upon inspection I notice “If CPU is locked, only 1333 can be ran”. Is this why my computer is only picking up 16gb and not the whole amount? I tried reseating the ram, using the MemOK button on the motherboard... nothing works. I cannot change to 1660, it wont let me boot up. If I put the frequency to 1333, and have everything on “Auto” it works fine, but again only picks up 16gb. I purchased all the ram sticks in a set from a single supplier, they’re all the same...

When I installed the new cpu, I updated the bios with asus latest bios update. Everything is up to date, and I am puzzled...

I assume my problem is my cpu being locked, not sure tho.... any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is doing well! I have a question...

I decided to upgrade my older pc build rather than scrap it and get a new build going... I have a Asus x58 sabertooth motherboard that had an Intel i7 910 or 920 (2.6ghz) and recently upgraded to a Intel Xeon 3.09ghz because it was fairly cheap. It is a 1366 slot so my options are limited now adays. The processor increased performance but in a month or so I will get a i7 990x extreme (because I think its the best for my old motherboard?)...

Anyways, for now my processor is fine but I have an issue. I recently purchased 6x4gb-1660 DDR3 all together in a set. When I go into Bio’s it shows the DRAM frequency at 1333, and when in Windows, it only shows 16GB and not 24GB. So when I go into Bios to change the frequency to 1600, I get an error “Failed to overclock”. Upon inspection I notice “If CPU is locked, only 1333 can be ran”. Is this why my computer is only picking up 16gb and not the whole amount? I tried reseating the ram, using the MemOK button on the motherboard... nothing works. I cannot change to 1660, it wont let me boot up. If I put the frequency to 1333, and have everything on “Auto” it works fine, but again only picks up 16gb. I purchased all the ram sticks in a set from a single supplier, they’re all the same...

When I installed the new cpu, I updated the bios with asus latest bios update. Everything is up to date, and I am puzzled...

I assume my problem is my cpu being locked, not sure tho.... any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Your motherboard supports 3 memory channels, but your CPU only supports 2 ... It seems this is why you are only able to use 16 of the 24 GB. I expect the BIOS has a setting to turn off memory channels (so all memory is on the same channel). This will allow you to use all 24 GB, but there will be a small performance hit.

The Xeon E3 does support 1600 MHz memory speed, so I am not sure why that is not working. I wonder if you were to remove the sticks in the 3rd memory channel if that would allow you to use 1600 MHz. It could also be a microcode issue since the Xeon E3 is not officially supported by that motherboard.

Reactions: RodroX
Jul 13, 2020
Your motherboard supports 3 memory channels, but your CPU only supports 2 ... It seems this is why you are only able to use 16 of the 24 GB. I expect the BIOS has a setting to turn off memory channels (so all memory is on the same channel). This will allow you to use all 24 GB, but there will be a small performance hit.

The Xeon E3 does support 1600 MHz memory speed, so I am not sure why that is not working. I wonder if you were to remove the sticks in the 3rd memory channel if that would allow you to use 1600 MHz. It could also be a microcode issue since the Xeon E3 is not officially supported by that motherboard.

ok thank you, when I get home I will try to find a way to activate all 3 channels.

Jul 13, 2020

Also do you know if Intel i7 990x extreme supports three channels? And is it “unlocked” ? It appears in general search results that it is. Thank you again for your time and advice.

Also do you know if Intel i7 990x extreme supports three channels? And is it “unlocked” ? It appears in general search results that it is. Thank you again for your time and advice.

Sometimes the best thing is to go to the maker of the part, and check the info, and google helps you with that 99.99% of the times: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...n-12m-cache-3-46-ghz-6-40-gt-s-intel-qpi.html

Usually is a good idea to share the exact data about the maker and model of the motherboard and the Xeon part.

Reactions: anotherdrew
Jul 13, 2020
Sometimes the best thing is to go to the maker of the part, and check the info, and google helps you with that 99.99% of the times: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...n-12m-cache-3-46-ghz-6-40-gt-s-intel-qpi.html

Usually is a good idea to share the exact data about the maker and model of the motherboard and the Xeon part.

I misstated my question, I didnt mean did it support 3 channels but does it support 1660 DDR3? Ive been on google and I suppose me being not that tech savy, I cant see it.

Intel’s website states

Memory Specifications
  • Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)24 GB
  • Memory TypesDDR3 1066
1066?

Wish I could answer my own questions :/ all help is appreciated!

Reactions: RodroX
Jul 13, 2020

opt_img_1422.jpg

When I try to manually change it to 1660 @ 3200Mhz I get this:

opt_img_1421.jpg

the processor is a Intel Xeon X5675
Intel Xeon X5675 SLBYL 6-Core 3.07GHz 12MB LGA 1366 Processor (Renewed) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P12YB98/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KHEdFbKXS6XT8

Jul 13, 2020
opt_img_1422.jpg

When I try to manually change it to 1660 @ 3200Mhz I get this:

opt_img_1421.jpg

Intel Xeon X5675 SLBYL 6-Core 3.07GHz 12MB LGA 1366 Processor (Renewed) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P12YB98/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KHEdFbKXS6XT8

Intel Xeon X5675 SLBYL 6-Core 3.07GHz 12MB LGA 1366 Processor (Renewed) https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...5-12m-cache-3-06-ghz-6-40-gt-s-intel-qpi.html

Intel’s page says Xeon X5675 supports 3 channels :/ Wonder why its only reading 2... When I get home I will try to find the option to turn on all 3 channels... never done it before...

Jul 13, 2020
@Maximus These are the CPU that officially supported by that motherboard : https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_X58/HelpDesk_CPU/

Since you are using a CPU that is not on that list, it is not surprising that it does not behave as expected. The microcode in BIOS tells the motherboard how to interact with the CPU. This is why you get new BIOS versions when a new CPU comes out.

Ok. Thank you for clarifying, I understand now. So I will get a new a CPU. The i7 990X shows it supports 1066... so I take it setting the frequency to 1660 wont work? Thanks for answering my questions.

Jul 13, 2020
BTW ... many people say the i7 990X runs hot ... do you have a good CPU cooling solution?
Yes, I have a giant (its huge 6 inch by 6 inch) coolmaster headsink that has dual fans on both sides. But Ive been wanting to switch over to liquid cooling. Do you think I should go LC for i7 990X ? The X5675 stays at about 38 to 41 degrees Celsius

Yes, I have a giant (its huge 6 inch by 6 inch) coolmaster headsink that has dual fans on both sides. But Ive been wanting to switch over to liquid cooling. Do you think I should go LC for i7 990X ? The X5675 stays at about 38 to 41 degrees Celsius
Liquid cooling has pluses and minuses.
plus: It does a great job of cooling your CPU
minus: It doesn't help cool your voltage regulators. That motherboard has nice heatsinks on the VRMs, but without airflow heatsinks don't work that well.
minus: When it fails you don't get much warning.
minus: If your case does not support the radiator you want, you will have to do some "re-engineering".

Reactions: MAXlMUS
Liquid cooling has pluses and minuses.
plus: It does a great job of cooling your CPU
minus: It doesn't help cool your voltage regulators. That motherboard has nice heatsinks on the VRMs, but without airflow heatsinks don't work that well.
minus: When it fails you don't get much warning.
minus: If your case does not support the radiator you want, you will have to do some "re-engineering".

Not to mention OP could save the money of the liquid cooler and put it towards a new mobo, cpu and ram later on.