[SOLVED] Question about a UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkrisin

Commendable
May 18, 2020
Hello, i have a question about UPS in general, i live in a very bad power zone, so im looking to get something to protect the pc, i got a 1000VA UPS, i let it charge for about 6 hours (that was the time i was told in the store to charge it), then i go and connect the pc and the monitor (i use a samsung 32inches tv 1080 res as a monitor) to the battery and,then i disconnected the UPS from the power outlet to test it out, it beeps and shut the pc and tv off almost immediatly, i got the tv off the battery to test if it was too much for the UPS, and did the process again this time the pc was on for like 8 seconds maybe, not enough time for it to actually shut itself down after i hit the power button, at the same time while it was off the power outlet i kept hearing a clicking noise from the UPS, i think thats the sound it makes when it goes to battery power, the problem is it keeps doing it and doing it for the 7 seconds it kept the pc on and then it goes into a long beep, i think it means no more power.

So my question is are 1000va enough? i just want the UPS for when the power is out to safely shut the pc off without doing damage to it, again i just want enough time to shut it off safely, i dont plan on using it for any more time than that, but i dont know if 1000VA are enough, according to pcpartpicker i think my pc uses 450W and the UPS gives me 500w, so i dont know is thats normal and i got the wrong UPS or if theres actually something else im missing here

my pc spec are
CPU: FX-8350
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA UD3
GPU: Rx 570 4GB
RAM: CORSAIR 8GB
PS: CORSAIR 700 BRONCE

Solution
Well I tried again but no luck, according to the manual the UPS is 1000va or 500w, I left it on the power outlet all day while I was at work just to make sure it charged correctly, again the manual says to let it charge for 6h sat first, but did the same test, only the PC connected to it and it goes crazy with the battery switch noise then goes out, the model it's a CDP R-UPR1008, but I guess it can't sustain the PC
This UPS sounds faulty. I myself use an 1000va one, and it holds my PC, monitor, and IP phone for a few minutes during our many power outages.
I suggest trying a different one. But yes, I think you may want a higher-end one because a 32-inch high-resolution television probably takes up more electricity than my 22...
The very first you need to determine is exactly what the load is. Then you determine how long you want the UPS to hold that load up. 1000VA is just enough to keep the average PC (and only the PC) up for no more than 6-7 minutes. If you add more load you get even less up time. And, don't listen to what the store tells you about charging time. What does the manual say? That's the only definitive source for that information. 6 hours sounds way short for an initial charge.

Reactions: darkrisin

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
^ Agreed. For UPS I only select the models that have a screen or type of interface that shows me what the status, charge level, and estimated run time are. The only item that I use a super low feature (but quality unit) on is the one I have plugged to my cable modem.

darkrisin

Commendable
May 18, 2020
Well I tried again but no luck, according to the manual the UPS is 1000va or 500w, I left it on the power outlet all day while I was at work just to make sure it charged correctly, again the manual says to let it charge for 6h sat first, but did the same test, only the PC connected to it and it goes crazy with the battery switch noise then goes out, the model it's a CDP R-UPR1008, but I guess it can't sustain the PC

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
This UPS sounds faulty. I myself use an 1000va one, and it holds my PC, monitor, and IP phone for a few minutes during our many power outages.
I suggest trying a different one. But yes, I think you may want a higher-end one because a 32-inch high-resolution television probably takes up more electricity than my 22 inch regular LCD computer monitor.

Solution
Sounds like an old battery (lead acids don't live forever) or faulty UPS. That's definitely not a name brand unit there.

Status
Not open for further replies.