ron2456

Distinguished
Hello, I want to buy a new system but will put a used gpu (1060 3gb). This is strictly a very limited 720p budget build and new gpu will hit the roof easily.
So my question about the GPU is that since there are ample used mining cards in the market so my question is that is it possible to mod the bios of a gtx 1060 3gb without removing the cooler? And if possible how to identify or read the bios that its modified.

And if possible how to identify or read the bios that its modified.

Graphics cards usually do not keep full record of what they got flashed with, or when, so it's a bit tough to say for absolute certain that it had been reflashed. They could easily save the current VBIOS, reflash it with a different (potentially damaging) version, then reflash the original.

The only way you might be able to tell is if the VBIOS version does not match the known versions that generally come with that card. A list of VBIOS versions can be found at Techpowerup VGA BIOS Database so you can see what version have been seen on a particular card, and you can see what VBIOS you have using GPU-z.

The problem is that this is not foolproof, and it might be that if your VBIOS is not in the database for your card then it is still correct for that card, but has not been seen before. Again, there is no foolproof way to know whether the card has been tampered with or otherwise damaged, IMO.

Reactions: ron2456

ron2456

Distinguished
Actually the card is a Asus Gtx 1060³gb phoenix edition and techpowerup has no official bios there only unverified ones.

The only way to know if it has been physically tampered is the warranty void seal on one of the heatsink screws.

ron2456

Distinguished
Also found the bios details of one Phoneix 1060³gb

Does this look okay?
GPU Device Id: 0x10DE 0x1C02
Version: 86.06.59.00.43 GTX1060
VB Ver 86.06.59.00.AS08
Copyright (C) 1996-2017 NVIDIA Corp. GP106

Board Connectors
1x DVI-D
2x DisplayPort
2x HDMI

Board power limit
Target: 120.0 W
Limit: 140.0 W
Adj. Range: -50%, +17%

Thermal limits
Rated: 83.0C
Max: 92.0C

Memory Support
GDDR5, Samsung
GDDR5, Micron
GDDR5, Hynix
Boost Clock: 1708 MHz

Also found the bios details of one Phoneix 1060³gb

Does this look okay?

Okay, in what sense ? Original VBIOS version ?

Actually the card is a Asus Gtx 1060³gb phoenix edition and techpowerup has no official bios there only unverified ones.

Can you post a screenshot of the GPU-Z tool, if possible ? I need to know what does it say under the BIOS version entry.

TRENDING THREADS