[SOLVED] Question about a wired / wireless set-up on FIO's 1GB..

MutualBenefits

Reputable
Dec 31, 2019
I’m currently running an Asus Rapture GT-ax11000 as a primary router in my living room near the Verizon ONT, then 2 rooms down I’m using an Asus RT – ax92u I got for incredibly cheap off craigslist in Aimesh mode… So, I got two questions involving a future upgrade if I can get an excellent sale plus Moca suggestion.

Around January 2022, would it be wise to replace my Asus RT ax92u with a Rapture GT-AXE11000 on deep sale, another GT-AX11000 or keep the ax92u... (I have a gigabyte 6E Wi-Fi card)

I saw a Moca 2.0 2 pack used on Facebook for $50 or spend Moca 2.5 from goCoax totaling $120 for a 2 pack off amazon.. (This will be connected to a Asus PCE-C2500 2.5GB network card)

Solution
Streaming is nothing compared to gigabit service. A typical 1080p stream is about 6-8mbps per stream. A typical 4k stream is 15-25mbps. Compare that to a 1000mbps connection, and each stream is not that much.

The data hogs will be the PS4/PS5 when they do a game update, which can actually use up all the available bandwidth. Keeping your brother on a crappy wifi extender helps in this situation because it'll inherently throttle him so it's never possible for him to get close to using the full 1000mbps bandwidth. He's lucky to use 100-200mbps, lol.

MOCA to your room with your own access point and ethernet switch is the best you can do. I can't think of a better setup other than taking the time and effort to run an actual...

Lutfij

Titan
To be frank, by the time January 2022, we'll have come across 3 quarters and probably a lot more better connectivity/networking devices which could, quite frankly, rival anything you're looking at right now for lower the cost and probably in a better design. I'd advise on sticking with what you can work with and build your networking ecosystem around your router, i.e, that all devices in your household/SOHO/office can take advantage of. As time goes on, upgrades might need to happen but I think you'll be good for a good 2 years before needing to drop any money on a revamp.

kanewolf

Titan
You can chase high speedtest numbers, but for practical use, 400Mbit or above will function the same. Websites on the other end of your connection will not be able to give consistent gigabit service. The only benefits will be multiple simultaneous device usage of the WAN. If you have 5 TVs trying to stream 4K content, then the more the better. In most cases your day-to-day usage won't change.

MutualBenefits

Reputable
Dec 31, 2019
kanewolf

My current living situation involves me having FiOS 1GB internet supporting my mom's streaming TV's, game phone, smart phone for WhatsApp calling in Jamaica, then my brothers phone, ps4 and streaming tv using a Wi-Fi extender in the basement.. An finally supporting my ps5, iPad pro, streaming sticks and smartphones..

That's why I have the router in my parents living room near Verizon ONT plus another router in my room that's I connect to Moca 2.5 adapters for strong Wi-fi in my room.

Streaming is nothing compared to gigabit service. A typical 1080p stream is about 6-8mbps per stream. A typical 4k stream is 15-25mbps. Compare that to a 1000mbps connection, and each stream is not that much.

The data hogs will be the PS4/PS5 when they do a game update, which can actually use up all the available bandwidth. Keeping your brother on a crappy wifi extender helps in this situation because it'll inherently throttle him so it's never possible for him to get close to using the full 1000mbps bandwidth. He's lucky to use 100-200mbps, lol.

MOCA to your room with your own access point and ethernet switch is the best you can do. I can't think of a better setup other than taking the time and effort to run an actual ethernet cord from the living room to your room.

Other than that I would make sure you turn on your QOS features of the router to help manage gaming bandwidth.

Solution