Jun 23, 2021
I saw the review today for the Sabrent SSD Sabrent Rolls Out 16TB External SSD For $2,900 | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com) .

I'm looking for some feedback on how fast people really think this will be vs say an nvme pcie4 drive. The capacity and price of the device is of interest. We work with very large datasets so we can easily overrun a 2TB nvme drive. Leaving aside the capacity issue I was wondering how this might perform compared to really fast nvme drives. Pcie3 or 4. Any thoughts on what would be as fast or faster then this would be appreciated.

Solution
I saw the review today for the Sabrent SSD Sabrent Rolls Out 16TB External SSD For $2,900 | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com) .

I'm looking for some feedback on how fast people really think this will be vs say an nvme pcie4 drive. The capacity and price of the device is of interest. We work with very large datasets so we can easily overrun a 2TB nvme drive. Leaving aside the capacity issue I was wondering how this might perform compared to really fast nvme drives. Pcie3 or 4. Any thoughts on what would be as fast or faster then this would be appreciated.

"According to Sabrent, each SSD offers sequential read speeds up to 1,400 MBps. If you want to maximize the drive's performance, you'll have to run the two SSDs in...

USAFRet

Titan

"According to Sabrent, each SSD offers sequential read speeds up to 1,400 MBps. If you want to maximize the drive's performance, you'll have to run the two SSDs in RAID 0 mode. Said configuration tops out at 2,800 MBps sequential reads. "

It is 2 physical drives, 8TB each.
Configured as a RAID 0, you'd reach a theoretical "2,800 MBps sequential reads"
Slower than a single good quality Gen 3x4 NVMe.

And of course you have to factor in the external connection thing.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
working with huge data sets you are still probably best to work with enterprise quality ssd's for max speeds and durability.

they cost a lot but this thing is not really cheap either. no external type connection will be as fast as a nice internal, direct to the mobo connection.

As you say large datasets. If you're frequently writing a lot of data. You may want to focus on drives with high sustained write speeds. Now if it's using the Rocket Q as supposed. It'll certainly do well. But not as well as two Samsung 970 Evo in RAID 0 for sustained writes (look at the 50GB write). Until there is an in depth review. You won't know.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sabrent-rocket-q-nvme-ssd/2

As for PCIe 3.0 vs PCIe 4.0 SSD performance. That's all irrelevant for this drive. It is Thunderbolt 3. The best it'll ever do is be as fast as a PCIe 3.0 SSD.

The casing is also silicone or rubber. Doesn't matter. It's like the SSD is wrapped in a nice warm blanket. Great for people not for SSD. Working with large datasets and dual SSD. I expect it'll generate a lot of heat.

Also if you're going to be filling the drive frequently. Then offloading the data. Just to refill the drive with new datasets. You'll likely want to look at enterprise SSD. As they are rated for a high write endurance. They're also built for heavy IO. So, you'll find more options which can maintain sustained writes.

That isn't a full Toms review. More of an ad that barely glosses over the drive. I expect an in depth review will eventually follow.

Perf wise pcie3x4 or pcie4x4 will be faster.