Question about adding more ram to my friends system

Hisashi705

Honorable
Jul 23, 2015
Hey everybody, my buddy wants to double the amount of ram he has from 16gigs to 32 by adding a second dual channel kit. When he went to buy a second kit he found that the model of ram he currently has is not produced any more, the question i have is would it be a problem to just add a similar kit to the system as in same speed, latancy, and gig amount, with slight deviation to the timings?

What does your buddy do with his pc?
If for gaming only, then there's no point in going from 16GB to 32GB.

As to about the question - compatibility problems are possible, when using modules from different kits.
Generally you'd want to use ram models as similar as possible - same manufacturer, same specs.

Hisashi705

Honorable
Jul 23, 2015

he and his wife do streaming and content creation for youtube for fun. He knows he doesn't "need" to double his ram, but he wants to anyways so who am i to argue, so i figured i'd just try to make sure everything went well instead you know. he currently has a set from patriot but they don't seem to make anything like what he currently has anymore it seems, at least not at the same speed so we began looking at other manufacturers and found 2 kits that are VERY similar on paper, thus leading to this question. But thanks for the response.