Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Hi,

I have two 1024 mb dimms in dual channel. I'd like to add one extra 1024 mb (getting 4gb is useless because i have 32bit os) If i would buy a new dimm identical to the ones i already have, will it work good? I don't know to much about dual channel so will one dimm working alongside a dual channel give any problems?

Thanks

Check your motherboard manual. It will give you all the possible memory configurations that work with your board. If you don't have the manual, you can download it off the manufacturer's website.

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Well it works with three 1gb dimms, but i think dual channel won't work anymore. In the manual it says that to enable dual channel both channels must be filled with the same amount of memory. Right now i have 1g in both channels, but adding one extra will mess it up, i think. Some extra advise/confirmation would be very welcome.

Battenburg

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Dual channel does require an even number of dimms so with 3 x 1 Gb it will run in single channel mode. However, dual channel is only approx. 5 % faster than in single channel mode. If you can live with that then there is no real reason not to run the 3 Gb.

I recently wanted to add more memory to my system and still run win xp so can only use around 3.5 Gb too but as memory is so cheap at the moment I just added another 2Gb. The system can only use about 3.5 of it but it still runs in dual channel mode.

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Very helpful reply, Battenburg. Thanks a lot. I might just buy an extra 2g because as you say, its really cheap these days. Thanks again.

Battenburg

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
No problem. Your welcome.

Don't forget if you buy 2Gb more you'd need that as 2 further 1 Gb sticks so you'd have 4 installed in the system.

Also, if another consideration is you could buy 2 x 512Mb sticks and run those with the 2 x 1 Gb sticks you currently have to achieve 3Gb in dual channel. If you didn't want to stretch to buying 2 Gb.

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Yeah i'll get 2x1gb because finding 2x512 is very hard these days. I also like to stick to the same manufacturer for optimal compatibility and they don't make sets like that anymore.