Question about AHCI and IDE

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Hi,

I am about to install my first ever SSD and don't want to mess it up, so thought it best to double check before I get started.

I have read that the SSD should be set at AHCI but I am not sure what the other devices should be set at.

On my motherboard there are 6 SATA ports. In the BIOS you can set the value (AHCI or IDE) for ports 1-4 collectively and ports 5-6 collectively.

At the moment I have my DVD drive and secondary HDD connected to ports 5 and 6 and set them as IDE. I have the SSD connected to port 1 and set as AHCI.

Now I was wondering what ports should I plug each device and what setting is best for each device?

***I know that I need to disconnect the other HDD when I install Windows in the SSD.***

Thanks

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

I would leave the HDD and DVD set to IDE, especially if you are adding an SSD to an existing system and have something saved on the HDD.

if you are starting from scratch then you can try setting all devices to AHCI first and if you have issues with the HDD or DVD then switch to IDE. some older HDDs and DVDs don't like AHCI.

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Would I be better putting the HDD and DVD into ports 1-4 and the SSD in ports 5-6?

I am doing a completely fresh install and I have ran DBAN on the old HDD and I have not tried.

If I set them all to AHCI can I later change the HDD and DVD to IDE.

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

I assume you intend to boot from the SSD, if that is the case go ahead and go with the following.
SSD port 1
HDD port 2
DVD port 5

yes you can set everything to AHCI and if there are issues with the HDD or the DVD then switch to IDE. you can do this safely because the HDD is blank.

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

correct

TRENDING THREADS