[SOLVED] Question about AIO mounting

Treycen

Prominent
Sep 3, 2019
Hey ya'll!

I have a quick question about AIO mounting due to me building my first system in a few weeks. Lemmie just get straight to the point:

I want to build my first system in this case: Lian Li Mid-Tower Chassis mATX
I want to put this AIO front mounted in this case: CORSAIR iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX

I've heard multiple times that you are not supposed to mount your radiator with the tubes facing up, but in this scenario I don't think there is enough clearance for It to be on the top. If you also look at the case, you will see that you cannot put tubes down If you front mount It either. The only option here Is for the tubes to be up. I've also heard on the other hand, that If you face your tubes upward and It's on the same level with your block (the thing that goes on the CPU) It will be fine.

Here's a reference picture of someone else's build with an AIO, the tubes are on the same level as the block: Imgur

Solution
I really don't get the whole thing about people with the rad mounting, If you watch a point in the video, He also claims that it wont hurt it, you could hear some gurgling when powering it on which as long as the loop has plenty of fluid its not going hurt it, if its low on fluid then sure, but by the time fluid loss is and issue is when the cooler is far out of the warranty period.

I wouldn't worry installing it in the front of the case, it could shorten the life span by a tiny margin, but its also has never really been tested to know, that requires years.

My current system is running an Enermax 360mm thats about 2 years old, mounted in the front of the case, My i7 rig that I don't use much anymore the 360mm AIO has been in the...
I really don't get the whole thing about people with the rad mounting, If you watch a point in the video, He also claims that it wont hurt it, you could hear some gurgling when powering it on which as long as the loop has plenty of fluid its not going hurt it, if its low on fluid then sure, but by the time fluid loss is and issue is when the cooler is far out of the warranty period.

I wouldn't worry installing it in the front of the case, it could shorten the life span by a tiny margin, but its also has never really been tested to know, that requires years.

My current system is running an Enermax 360mm thats about 2 years old, mounted in the front of the case, My i7 rig that I don't use much anymore the 360mm AIO has been in the front of that system for nearly 5 years I believe.

GN is a trust worthy site and channel, but people are blowing the rad orientation way out of the water its crazy, Steve has also even said the same thing, people are going crazy about it, As long as the pump is not above the rad, you'll be fine.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
These style pumps and the ones used in custom loops use the fluid as part of the lubrication. If air is in there instead of fluid it will wear away the bearing surfaces more quickly.

If you are an enthusiast it doesn't matter all that much, as you will probably replace components before their failure points. If you want it to last as long as possible, mount it in the correct orientation. Simple as that.

Or, get a honking big air cooler.

Treycen

Prominent
Sep 3, 2019
Thanks for all the input guys! I've opted to just change my case to the Fractal Design Meshify C Mini where I'm actually able to mount the cooler on top :)