Question about airflow

Jason_134

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
So I built a budget pc a few weeks back in the Sharkoon VS4-S case. I installed 2 front fans and 1 back fan as exhaust. I noticed that my 2 front fans we're barely taking air in when I have my front panel on. I was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to remove the 2 fans from the front and put them both on the side panel as intakes, with a dust filter in front of them.

Solution
As thejackal85 says, often times the front fans aid in cooling HDD's and SSD's but mainly it's to pull air towards the back of the case where the air will carry the heat away from the components, then to be exhausted out of the back.

Best thing to do is get more fans and add it to the side panel, but if don't want to buy more it would be beneficial to move one of the two fans to the sidepanel, not both.

Remember dust filters do actually obstruct airflow, but they will save you a lot of cleaning. So high static pressure fans are best for use with dust filters.

Good luck.

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
The easiest thing in a computer that can overheat are the hard drives; that's why in a lot of custom cases there is almost always a fan in the front of the case blowing air onto the HDD's. My recommendation would be to keep those as cool as possible, everything else will take care of itself.

Gamer-Potatoes

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
As thejackal85 says, often times the front fans aid in cooling HDD's and SSD's but mainly it's to pull air towards the back of the case where the air will carry the heat away from the components, then to be exhausted out of the back.

Best thing to do is get more fans and add it to the side panel, but if don't want to buy more it would be beneficial to move one of the two fans to the sidepanel, not both.

Remember dust filters do actually obstruct airflow, but they will save you a lot of cleaning. So high static pressure fans are best for use with dust filters.

Good luck.

Solution