Question about AM2 and AM3 motherboards

nawfal

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
hi guys

i am thinking about upgrading my computer now. i was wondering if i buy an am2 motherboard (is this the latest amd board), can i upgrade to the phenom when it comes out?

also does anyone know when amds new chipset comes out?

thanks

nawfal

Emperor36

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2007
Nawfal, I would wait till they release there chipsets first and see what the results are. you might never know? It might be socket 1207 or AM3>>??? They need to compare it with Intel's new Penron 45nm chip. Then you could be the judge on witch chip you want... honostly at this stage it's hard to tell... because then Nvidia and ATI are coming out with there new gpu's.. and when you have bought all your new hardware, everything will be apsolete.., I could be extremly wrong, please forgive me.. The new AMD Phenom's are saying they are coming out on Sep 10th?????? ( I could be wrong again from what I'm reading).

I have a AMD 4000 64 single cpu with
a Evga 7950gx2 and 2 gigs of ram....

I'm apsolete, but I could still play games at a reasonable fps...?
I also am thinking of upgrading myself, I have a Q6600 in my closet as of right now collecting dust..., from what I'm reading the G0 stepping is better because it's going to run cooler and have better overclocking.
I have the B3 (witch suck's a$$ by the way but still happy that I have a quad core)..and can overclock it a little bit with reasonable results.. I just don't want to spend the money right now to buy everthing and 2 months later the new stuff comes out..

Conclusion,,,Don't listen to me because I don't know absolutely sh!t...
J/K.. You have to make that call about getting something now or wait?.......... thanks for reading my sorry a$$ post... :whistle: