[SOLVED] Question about AMD APU RAM

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
On a system like the one below with no dedicated graphics card, how much system RAM is the iGPU allowed to use? I can't seem to find anywhere in BIOS to assign an amount of RAM. Maybe I'm just a poor searcher, but it isn't obvious to me anyway.
And is it possible that the iGPU can just grab as much as needed depending on the in-game settings?

Ryzen 5 4600G w/Wraith Prism cooler
Asus Prime B450M-A
16 GB DDR4 3200
500W Antec PSU

Solution
And is it possible that the iGPU can just grab as much as needed depending on the in-game settings?

That is what usually happens. The setting for adjusting UMA frame buffer size should be under advanced category somewhere. Try under north bridge (or NB for short) configuration if your board has this sub directory.

Depending on game, if there's no minimum vram requirement to run or perform well then you can increase it. But the amount set will be permanently dedicated to igpu rather than be dynamically used for other things when not gaming. So it's the minimum size you can set, how much ram used is unrestricted and game will use as much as it can depending on graphics settings.

More on here...

boju

Titan
Ambassador

That is what usually happens. The setting for adjusting UMA frame buffer size should be under advanced category somewhere. Try under north bridge (or NB for short) configuration if your board has this sub directory.

Depending on game, if there's no minimum vram requirement to run or perform well then you can increase it. But the amount set will be permanently dedicated to igpu rather than be dynamically used for other things when not gaming. So it's the minimum size you can set, how much ram used is unrestricted and game will use as much as it can depending on graphics settings.

More on here.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-280

Solution