[SOLVED] Question about AMD StoreMI

IDProG

Distinguished
I currently have a 2.5" 2TB 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda Pro as my storage for gaming.

I'm planning to add a NVMe PCIe 3.0 SSD so that I can at least load my OS faster.

Then, I learned that B450 motherboard supports AMD StoreMI. From what I learned, StoreMI basically turned all of your drives into a large and fast SSHD, which is a great thing since that means I can make game loads much faster, too.

However, I realized that my CPU is Ryzen 5 1500X. So, I'm a bit concerned that StoreMI wouldn't work.

So, here are my questions:
  1. Is it true that StoreMI does what I said? Or are there any limitations to that?
  2. If my 1500X is placed on B450 motherboard, can StoreMI still work?
  3. How big of an SSD do you think I should buy?

Solution
Why?
Consider the event of a dead drive, or you simply want to replace.
With the StoreMi, they are all merged, including the data. You can't just replace one of them, without a full reinstall of ALL data.

Minimal performance? The claims of speeding up the whole thing is a bit misleading.
It cannot speed up reads from the HDD. Physics.

The only data that is "fast" is that which actually lives on the SSD.
Given a large enough SSD, that should be most of your day to day data anyway. Rendering the StoreMi irrelevant.

It is a good concept, in theory. But in the face of dropping SSD prices...a concept that is increasingly not needed.

USAFRet

Titan
My personal opinion - You shouldn't mess with the complexity and minimal gains the StoreMi might give you.
It sounds great in theory, but it adds needless complication. Stuff that ends up on the HDD generally doesn't need that speed boost anyway.

Get a large enough SSD that can take one or more of the current games you're playing. Have all that other stuff on the HDD.

IDProG

Distinguished
My personal opinion - You shouldn't mess with the complexity and minimal gains the StoreMi might give you.
It sounds great in theory, but it adds needless complication. Stuff that ends up on the HDD generally doesn't need that speed boost anyway.

Get a large enough SSD that can take one or more of the current games you're playing. Have all that other stuff on the HDD.
Why is it complex? Why does it give minimal gains?
Why does it add needless complications?

Don't use StoreMI with your boot drive, just asking for trouble.
Why?

USAFRet

Titan
Why?
Consider the event of a dead drive, or you simply want to replace.
With the StoreMi, they are all merged, including the data. You can't just replace one of them, without a full reinstall of ALL data.

Minimal performance? The claims of speeding up the whole thing is a bit misleading.
It cannot speed up reads from the HDD. Physics.

The only data that is "fast" is that which actually lives on the SSD.
Given a large enough SSD, that should be most of your day to day data anyway. Rendering the StoreMi irrelevant.

It is a good concept, in theory. But in the face of dropping SSD prices...a concept that is increasingly not needed.

Solution